Resolution undependant

is there a gui out there that is not dependant upon resolution, and here's what i mean :

you don't specify size in pixels, you specify it in relation to screen.

size of text and buttons and everything is always the same in every resolution.

it's like gui in oblivion ( if you've ever played it ).

i hate to see gui that depends upon resolution (and every one does) it is so stupid!!!

Nice idea, but I think the problem would be fonts… Not everyone is a fan of having their fonts be huge in hi-res and small in low-res… It just seems counter intuitive.

it seems pretty logical to me.

some would like the fonts to be specified in pixels. but what happens when your app is resized in a smaller resolution, then the text doesn't fit where it should. or it fits but leaves a lot of empty space. and when you are coding you have to test your app in every resolution to see if everything fits.

"Not everyone is a fan of having their fonts be huge in hi-res and small in low-res"

and exactly the opposite happens when your run a 640x480 app fullscreen and 1280x1024.

this way the text would be the same size just like i should.

Yeah!, sorry i said it backwards… tiny in hi-res and huge in low-res.

My whole point is that text is text… I personally like it a fixed size so my eyes don't complain about tiny fonts. While I do agree it creates the problem of resizing, that is why any decent GUI library has layout managers to handle special cases in elegant ways. Even though it will never be perfect, you can assume a range, and still not have relative size fonts.

you don't get me.

the text is always the same size (in real world) in fullscreen mode if it's not resolution dependent. and most games are played fullscreen.

isn't the goal to create a text that is always the same size ( in real world ).

To play devil's advocate… A lot of times people like higher resolutions so they can see MORE of things…  More of the game world and less of the UI…  More text at once…  etc.

renanse said:

To play devil's advocate... A lot of times people like higher resolutions so they can see MORE of things...  More of the game world and less of the UI...  More text at once...  etc.

hmmm that makes sense.
but it's still unapropriate to create positions in pixel format, rather using layout managers.

well whatever ... if it works it's good for me.

I've always sort of liked the concept in OpenGL of ignore pixel width and height programming independent of it.  A similar concept is used in Flash and is very nice because you can lay out your widgets exactly how you want them to look independent of width and height and simply scale accordingly.  This is an ideal scenario for UIs I believe because you can then zoom in or out no matter what resolution you're in to see things larger or smaller rather than having to bump your resolution up or down because you either can't read it or because you want to fit more on the screen.