RigidBodyControl is effectless after moving TerrainQuad w/ setPhysicsLocation()

@normen said: The initial point was that you don't need to *move* the physics just because you move the visuals.

I think I finally understand what you’re talking about. Did you mean that every single physics, I leave their coordinates as-is, like have stuff everywhere like it was before, BUT always keep the camera near the origin {0,0,0} AND draw stuff always relative to the camera, NOT the player physics?

So basically the player collision shape is at {512000,0,0} on the TerrainQuad_1000_0 and that TerrainQuad’s RigidBodyControl is at {512000,0,0} too BUT the TerrainQuad geometry is drawn at {0,0,0} and the camera is at {0,0,0} ? So everything is drawn near ZERO, while their respective physics are scarsed everywhere in the world having their position set to real big values?

Are they going to work as expected when the player goes on chunk 10000_0 or are they going to suffer float point precision like the GLSL matrices did before I began moving stuff always near {0,0,0}?

@.Ben. said: Are they going to work as expected when the player goes on chunk 10000_0 or are they going to suffer float point precision like the GLSL matrices did before I began moving stuff always near {0,0,0}?

To that specific question, it will be way worse. Physics requires way more precision than rendering does. Player movement is the first place you’ll notice it in something like an FPS game. The camera will stop feeling smooth and so on. But not far from there, any colliding objects are more likely to become unstable, etc…

I could lay the math out, but I think you get the point.

Well… I mean. Many people took a chance here. I think we can all agree that: as it sits right now, there is no more efficient approach than removing the TerrainQuad from PhysicsSpace and re-add it. Case closed, thanks everybody for all your very valuable and interesting inputs.

EDIT: Been testing it for 2-3 days now (part time as usual) and it looks like it’s efficient enough. I don’t notice hangs or lag when the player changes chunk (and this usually means doing the above-mentionned for 25 TerrainQuads). I’m happy with the result. Thanks everybody.