Rocket Blast (particles) and Ground interaction

Wow, this time I have one that should require some imagination.

I'd like to have a rocket powered vehicle (like a space rocket or shuttle) and I'm think in using particles for the fire blast and smoke, of course. But I'm thinking that I'd want the smoke and blast NOT to traverse the ground. Instead I want it to spread to the sides (influence?) and lift some dust (another particle layer?), but can I trigger this only when the rocket is near the ground or interpolate this effect based on this distance?

Any clues?

If you're using JPhysics 2 you could fire a load of invisible spheres out of the bottom of the spaceship and attach their geometry to your fire/smoke ParticleMesh which fades over time. Then add a clamped particleMesh for the dust when the sphere hits the surface at that world location. Time death your spheres and that should give an interesting effect… You could even use power of thrust to increase sphere size and lifetime.

And thats why everything I do is 3fps…  }:-@

Hi perick,

I suggest you not to create the fire blast from particles mesh. Just because when jme framework render the fire blast, It will render some unexpected line (or any unexpected object) front of the fire blast!

dinhnguyenquoc said:

I suggest you not to create the fire blast from particles mesh. Just because when jme framework render the fire blast, It will render some unexpected line (or any unexpected object) front of the fire blast!

If there is a bug, I think the best option is to fix the bug, not abandon the feature :)

You can probably make some ParticleInfluence that checks if the particle is within the terrain mesh and then change its velocity depending on the normal at the terrain.

I think when finished this will make a nice effects test…

I´m inclined to follow the approach I imagined first with the suggestion from Momoke_Fan, but that will require some tweeking and time.

I haven´t had any problems with the Particles system so far. Used it as smoke for my cars in Dirty Racers and everything was fine… Integrated with RenParticleEditor it makes one of the most mature JME features.

perick said:

I haven

Post up a patch to the test to show the problem and it will be fixed. :)  I have not seen this problem recently, but it might be a 1.0/2.0 issue.