Roleplaying Game (1 month and 2 weeks of progress)

This game was built using only Standard Java Library. It took one month and 2 weeks of hard work(from mid December to early February) to get it to the point where it is now.

I only own the codebase. With a few exception in the art, a lot of art assets shown in the video are borrowed, thus only used as placeholders in order to allow me to build a codebase as quick as I can given my ability as a hobbyist java game programmer.

The reasons I made it was to:

1. Create a game I was passionate about. I love rpgs. I never programmed one so it was nice to be involved with the whole process.
  2. Make the role playing game genre more accessible(clear cut objectives, instill better game pacing, have fun with short play time )
  3. Experiment with programming game mechanics
  4. Learn new ways to structure complex systems
  5. Get a better sense of project scope and how much time needed to put in to achieve this result
  6. Have a better game portfolio

2 Likes

He he, yeh that art definitely doesn’t belong to you :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you saying you didn’t use jME3 at all to build this game? In that case you shouldn’t really be posting about it here, as this forum is meant for games powered by jME3, with the exception of games demonstrating a particular engine related feature you’d like to discuss.

If you wanna try creating a 2D game with jMonkeyEngine, you could check out @t0neg0d’s 2D Framework (I think it comes bundled with the tonegodGUI plugin?) or @memonick’s sprite engine.

Also, it’s a good idea to use free resources from a site like opengameart.org. That way you can freely share your entire game without any fear of legal repercussions.