This game was built using only Standard Java Library. It took one month and 2 weeks of hard work(from mid December to early February) to get it to the point where it is now.
I only own the codebase. With a few exception in the art, a lot of art assets shown in the video are borrowed, thus only used as placeholders in order to allow me to build a codebase as quick as I can given my ability as a hobbyist java game programmer.
The reasons I made it was to:
- Create a game I was passionate about. I love rpgs. I never programmed one so it was nice to be involved with the whole process.
- Make the role playing game genre more accessible(clear cut objectives, instill better game pacing, have fun with short play time )
- Experiment with programming game mechanics
- Learn new ways to structure complex systems
- Get a better sense of project scope and how much time needed to put in to achieve this result
- Have a better game portfolio