Rotating particle emitters

So, this is really a brief question, but I found it a bit tricky to solve…

Basically, I want a massive fire to sweep through a house. Now, the edges of it really don’t matter as it’s not going to be possible to see through the walls, but really to just have a fire particle emitter move across a model. Now, here’s the problem. Moving around a particle emitter rotates it annoyingly, meaning that you always see the same side of it. Great for small fires: Not so good when running from a fire. So, is there any way to “lock” the rotation of them (they don’t actually seem to rotate by, say, setLocalRotation, though I’m not 100% sure), or any other better way to simulate a large fire?

Cheers :smiley:

I can’t speak for JME’s emitter, but as a secondary solution (if one doesn’t come up here) The emitter system I wrote and shared allows you to use the house model as the emitter shape and then have it emit the particles using the model faces sequentially. Which would appear to move across the model. However, this may not have the desired effect either, as it depends on the model/number of faces/order they were added in, etc, etc.

Before going this route, see if someone has an idea for the current emitter system–lot easier to get support using the default emitter atm as I am busy with gui/android crap atm. There may very well be a simple solution using JME’s emitter. /shrug

1 Like
@t0neg0d said: I can't speak for JME's emitter, but as a secondary solution (if one doesn't come up here) The emitter system I wrote and shared allows you to use the house model as the emitter shape and then have it emit the particles using the model faces sequentially. Which would appear to move across the model. However, this may not have the desired effect either, as it depends on the model/number of faces/order they were added in, etc, etc.

Before going this route, see if someone has an idea for the current emitter system–lot easier to get support using the default emitter atm as I am busy with gui/android crap atm. There may very well be a simple solution using JME’s emitter. /shrug

Alright, well, it sounds like a decent way to go through it. I can understand that it could get a little bit heavy on the system/buggy behavior… my models are not exactly topnotch :slight_smile: Anyway; I will wait for some other solution, and then try experimenting with yours! Thanks a lot!