RPG project planning stages

Hello JME community!

I am working with an artist to create a design document for a game.

We both have plenty of experience in our own area's, but art, and story telling alone don't make a game.

We had a long talk, and decided jME is probably the engine we are looking for.

So now we are mainly looking for people from the jME community, and others to help us develop this game.

What is the game all about?

The game is about an epic struggle between Nifhemia, and Maspal. The player will have allot of autonomy in the story and will be able to choose their own path. The story is based on a book I have been trying to get published for a while. The main story will take about 15-20 hour for an average player. This is of course very dependant on level design.

Our unique point comes in our game-play mechanics. We are currently writing out our games design document so we cannot comment much on this aspect.

However what I can tell you is that we are attempting to create a hybrid between a western RPG (Oblivion, DA:O,) and an RTS game (Warhammer, WC3.)

This is a crude analogy, but it may give you a rough image of what we want to do.

The story is at this point mostly done. we have all the main plot lines worked out. All that rests in the story dept. is converting it to script, and adding side quests.

Lead in into the story,

Gliese

Maspal, on the foot of the Ymir mountains. A massive battle has just been fought here, the victor, Atheos, is giving his soldiers the night to pillage, and feast on what remains of the town they had decimated earlier in the day. Atheos however had other things on his mind. The fighting today had delivered him something special, unique. A book the likes of which he had never seen before.

Even the attempt to touch the book's cover would burn his hands. Amazed at the magic concealed in this book he froze his hands and attempted to pick it up. The thick ice shield he had created around his hands barely held until he reached his command tent not 10 metres away.

Away from the town, in the thick forest a young man had a dream. The contents of this dream would change his life forever.

What we are looking for is practically every open slot you can think of.

Mostly at this point we would like several concept artists, and several coders who have experience with this engine. The coders will for now mostly be used as consultants as we work on the design document. The artists can start work practically immediately. Once we have created the design document with the coders we will open up recruitment across the board.

Once the planning phase of the game is complete and we move into full game development, we will be aiming to get some attention from the gaming community.

For the immediate future, working on the game would be unpaid, and the reward would be being able to add the work to your own portfolio's.

At a later date, depending on a successful release, suitable payment would be arranged.

If you are interested you can send an e-mail to cliche-recruitment@hotmail.com, or post a reply.

Kind Regards, Hippo

EDIT: Added lead in into the story, which I forgot :slight_smile: Also added some more info about the game.

jME is a great choice, no doubt, but without programming experience this gonna be hard.

I work myself on an "Oblivion-Game", called Ankhel and let me tell you, things that look simple are pretty difficult.

Without motivation I would give up, because I fail more than succed.

If I create something usefull I share it with the community.

The point I want to say is, that if you are not the driving factor in your game and I mean the "stupid donkey", not the guy on the wheel, you will simple fail, because people around you will give up.

You could succed, but only if you do the programming yourself!

DarkPhoenixX said:

jME is a great choice, no doubt, but without programming experience this gonna be hard.
I work myself on an "Oblivion-Game", called Ankhel and let me tell you, things that look simple are pretty difficult.
Without motivation I would give up, because I fail more than succed.
If I create something usefull I share it with the community.
The point I want to say is, that if you are not the driving factor in your game and I mean the "stupid donkey", not the guy on the wheel, you will simple fail, because people around you will give up.

I understand what you are saying, however that could hold true for any job there is to do on this project.
A development team needs to have the ability to work together, across all departments.

I happen to be a writer, the story is actually based on one of my books. We could argue that my job is the first to be finished, and it probably is.
However this gives me the opportunity to begin work on other things that also need to be done for a commercial release. And it keeps my schedule clear to effectively lead, leading is more then setting up skype meetings.
And it is something I have had a good amount of experience in.

I would never view others in the team as "stupid donkeys" that need a driver. I need the people in the team allot more then they need me, and I realise that.
(I know you didn't mean anything by it, this isn't meant as a jab at you personally.)
I am also not under the illusion that we would be having a cakewalk. A game at any scope takes time, skill, and perseverance.

We want to support the open source/mod community, we do plan to add an editor in the game. And any tools we create that would be useful to the community we will share.

On a lighter note, I just became an uncle, like literally during typing this post!

Kind regards, Hippo
DarkPhoenixX said:

Driving factor doesn't necessarily have to be 'programmer'.  Its the person passionate about the project who has a vested interest in seeing it finished.  You happen to be a programmer, hippo's a writer :)

Hippo said:

And it keeps my schedule clear to effectively lead, leading is more then setting up skype meetings.
And it is something I have had a good amount of experience in.

You're also setting the tone for how the project is developed.  Its much more gratifying to be involved in projects that put mail in your inbox that is calm and sensible rather than "I NEED ARTWORK IN TWO HOURS".  (Insert spelling and grammatical errors on your own, I didn't have the heart to do it to something I was typing)

Hippo said:

I would never view others in the team as "stupid donkeys" that need a driver. I need the people in the team allot more then they need me, and I realise that.

I'm sure you've heard the term 'Jack of all trades, master of none'.  I'm a programmer who happens to write fairly well, but I can't draw a proper stick figure.  Someone I work with can program but can't write, the combinations are endless.  You're right, there are no stupid donkeys, but there's no less important or more important spot either.  Games with a crappy store have no staying power; bad graphics have no selling power; bad programming means more money fixing it [if you do].

Hippo said:

We want to support the open source/mod community, we do plan to add an editor in the game. And any tools we create that would be useful to the community we will share.

I really like this!  If you were planning on using jME3, there is jMonkeyPlatform.  Its the project-driven level editor for jME3 which you could write plugins for based on how your game works

Hippo said:

On a lighter note, I just became an uncle, like literally during typing this post!

And that's the best news of all!