Running IDE from command line

Hello,

I used netbeans to compile the IDE and the SDK from scratch. I can run the IDE from netbeans because it’s the default starting executable, but where is the actual compiled Jar file stored? I want to be able to run it from a console window… java -jar …

There is no jar. Run the zip target to build the application.

Hi Normen,

Zip target? I’m actually new to java, the engine and it’s structures. Where would I find it? I’m a C++ developer for 3D graphics.

I checked out the Trunk folders and built everything that was setup up by default. The IDE runs in Netbeans after its built, but i have no idea where from. Where would I find the zip, and does it run the same as a Jar?

right-click the ANT build file of the base freeform project and select the target “zip”. Again, there is an application thats being built, you don’t need to run anything by calling java.exe

Ok, I see what you are saying.
That compiles it again though…right? —it started the build over…

Since it’s already built before and ran, I should be able to find it on the hard drive and just run it through command prompt, right?

Even if its zipped, or just the Jars or Exes. Where would those compiled files be?

@DieSlower said: Ok, I see what you are saying. That compiles it again though...right? ---it started the build over...

Since it’s already built before and ran, I should be able to find it on the hard drive and just run it through command prompt, right?

Even if its zipped, or just the Jars or Exes. Where would those compiled files be?

The parts of the application are in the build directory but it won’t help you much. You either build the application (zip target) or you run it from the IDE / build script directly (build/run targets). What would the point of your endeavor be?

The parts of the application are in the build directory but it won’t help you much. You either build the application (zip target) or you run it from the IDE / build script directly (build/run targets). What would the point of your endeavor be?

Fair question. We are evaluating JME for a project in our company. Some of the developers want to use Netbeans to develop, so they don’t want to install the JME SDK, but instead want to build it locally and link to it manually. They know they will need the JME IDE for certain utils like the various editors and scene composers. So they must have a way to run them from a shortcut they create or command line. They also don’t want to rebuild the whole SDK or the IDE at every run.
So I’m looking for a way to build it once, and then just be able to start the IDE from a separate shortcut or command prompt like i can do with a regular Java program. Is there a way to do that?

Yes, run the zip target and use the created application. Or just download the SDK application from our downloads section…

Created application, as in for deployment? That sounds like what I need. Downloading the SDK wont help since our developers might make changes to the SDK itself, and will need to test it.

I only see the Desktop Exe option in the JME SDK though, the original netbeans doesn’t have that. What is used to create an exe generation tool to netbeans?

@DieSlower said: Created application, as in for deployment? That sounds like what I need. Downloading the SDK wont help since our developers might make changes to the SDK itself, and will need to test it.

I only see the Desktop Exe option in the JME SDK though, the original netbeans doesn’t have that. What is used to create an exe generation tool to netbeans?

/sigh Just run the zip target and then unzip the created application and use it after you have made the changes, I don’t know how I can be any more clear. The executable for NetBeans platform apps doesn’t get created on each build, its a precompiled binary / script for the different platforms. The exe creation in the jME SDK is from us and used for creating jME applications (as opposed to NetBeans Platform applications) and uses different approaches for each platform, read the manual on how to configure them.

@normen
Right, i think we are both misunderstanding each other. I understand about the exe files from JME IDE. I saw those instructions before.
You just mentioned though that the zip target creates binaries in a zip file somewhere… where is this zip file stored? I think that’s what i’ve been looking for the whole time.
If I unzip them I can probably run the IDE from one of the files there?

@DieSlower said: @normen Right, i think we are both misunderstanding each other. I understand about the exe files from JME IDE. I saw those instructions before. You just mentioned though that the zip target creates binaries in a zip file somewhere.... where is this zip file stored? I think that's what i've been looking for the whole time.
I think I gave you the answer to what you were asking for the whole time. The file is in the root folder after you run the zip target, as per its output.
@DieSlowerIf I unzip them I can probably run the IDE from one of the files there?
You got it.
1 Like

Nice!!! Thanks you, now I got it.

So the generated file is jMonkeyEngine-SDK-3.1-pre-alpha-svn-NoBundles.zip (differs a little bit according to version) and inside of it are the binaries that can be run with out the netbeans SDK. As you said…it gets dumped in the root folder after a build. Perfect!

:mrgreen: