Sad news: No GSoC 2011 for jMonkeyEngine

Just got this in my inbox:

Hi Erlend S. Heggen,

Thank you for submitting "jMonkeyEngine" organization application to Google Summer of Code 2011. Unfortunately, we were unable to accept your organization's application at this time. We received many more applications for the program than we are able to accommodate, and we would encourage you to reapply for future instances of the program.

Best regards,
Google Open Source Programs

Totally bummed me out, since we had such a strong application this year. So strong in fact, I was compelled to ask why we didn't make it - now awaiting response from Carol and also hoping to make that Tuesday meeting.

To you disappointed students out there

We'd still love nothing more than to have you work with us on on any given suggestion on our ideas page. There'll be no money involved, which also means the mentors can't commit to mentoring you directly, unless your work is so great that it demands it ;)

t.t

…

That’s very disappointing.

well, theres always 2012 (which we MUST be accepted in)

8O

rhaa damn it

Meh, I’m interested to hear why though :frowning:

if GSoC failed… can we make a donation for students who want to make these projects for some money? I can donate 50 dollars per month. I know… not so much, but it’s all what i can do. Donators will be people like me who is around here.

Hmm… jMESoC? What does our fearless leader say? :smiley:

Yeah!!! JMESoC!!! Sounds COOOOOLLLLL!!! I WANT IT!!!

Also, I will try to search some sponsors in my location…

jMESoC? definitely Go for it, i think i know of a sponsor for you also.

Joomla! tried something like this back in the day, following an unexpected rejection of their application:

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1183-introducing-the-joomla-student-outreach-program-projects-and-students.html

http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1235-jcamp-jsop-2010-is-gearing-up.html

From the little I’ve gathered, it was not a big success. I don’t think the effort spent organizing this will be worth the contributions it generates. Students who were considering jMonkeyEngine shouldn’t be in it just for the money in the first place. Some of the idea behind GSoC is that young coders get a great replacement for a summer job. But besides that convenience factor, the biggest benefits of GSoC aren’t in the money, but rather in the talented people you get to know and work with, the raw knowledge at your disposal, and the ultimate end product as a testament to your commitment.

API freeze is already in (soft) effect for alpha-4. Next up is Beta, which means complete (again, soft) feature freeze. In other words, anyone who’d like their work showcased in the engine and on our website this time of year had better get their foot in the door because when Beta hits, doors are closed for as long as it takes to stabilize 3.0.

@mifth I will know more about why we were rejected if I make it to the Tuesday meeting. I welcome all other monkeys to join in. If I don’t make it, someone else has to pop the question :wink:

@mifth and @clwillingham if you actually do manage to round up one or more sponsors, that would be great. I will just suggest that you make it a simple process, independent of the jMonkey team’s direct involvement. I’m sure the listed mentors would be happy to mentor dedicated students for free, but that said it would quickly become too much of a commitment if any student depends on mentoring to get any work done.

So what I mean is, keep the formal agreement between sponsor and student, but by all means get in touch with relevant mentors to know their stance on a given project idea and how they might dedicate themselves to that.

DELETED: i did not see your second post.

Sponsorships, grants and money in general has never been part of my Norwegian education, so I wouldn’t know much about what kind of sponsorship we could feasibly expect.

A student for the Android renderer? I suppose so. @antonyudin was our top candidate for the Android project, seeing as he has committed to it already. His time is limited though. A sponsorship would hopefully enable him to free up his schedule.

Also for “just” $500-$1000 you could set @Momoko_Fan (also a student btw) up with a kick-ass Android device, and he’d finally have the hardware he needs to get hands-on with Android. That is, if he’s actually interested in working on it.

re: “deleted”: Oh, well, I still replied ^^

ok, i get you. Thanks for reply.

If you can define exactly what jMESoC would be, then we will have a far better chance of getting students and sponsorship. What i mean is, What would the student (or better, students), be required to do? would would they get out of it? what would the mentors do? how does it all work?

If you can answer these questions, then i may be able to help you get students and sponsorship.

any more thoughts on jMESoC? I’ve got some interest from one possible sponsor at-least.

3-5 top GSoC ideas for JME will suit JMESoC.

First of all Android renderer.

Second is Terrain editor.

Blender bridge.

Collada support.