Saving a movie

Any one know a way to save an animation of something rendered in jme.

You can use Fraps to save a movie.

That probably can solve my problem. A much more optimal solution would be to add a save move feature to my application. Any one know how to do this.

sure: grab each frame and put it into a video encoder :slight_smile: (although it sounds easy I'm sure it will be a lot of work if you want good performance)

mind posting some code for that? :slight_smile:

I stumbled on this today while on the blenderartist forums

edit: just looked closer at this, doesn’t seem to suport fullscreen apps my apologies. its opensource though

irrisor said:

sure: grab each frame and put it into a video encoder :) (although it sounds easy I'm sure it will be a lot of work if you want good performance)

I was under the impression that getting data from the graphics card was extremely slow on many cards (too slow for a move) but i never tested it myself.

Are there any java video encoder. (free would be best)

Badmi

Check out JMF

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/attributions.html

Badmi said:

I was under the impression that getting data from the graphics card was extremely slow on many cards (too slow for a move) but i never tested it myself.

AGPx4's bandwith is about 1 gigabyte per second. PCI x16 is about 4 gigabyte per second. Let's say you want to record to a 1024x768 movie. At 4 bytes per pixel, that's 3 MB per frame, giving you a theoretical max FPS of over 300 for AGPx4 and over 1300 for PCIe x16. (this is all not taking into account any caching mechanisms)
Of course, the video encoder won't be able to keep up.. but bus bandwith definatly is not your problem.

but does it matter? You can slow your jME scene down as much as you want.. (unless you record a playing session, but even that should be doable.. gameplay will just be slower).