Scene Monitor (new version 1.31)

Thank you Nymon, the save coord and select object are very usefull to me.

nymon said:

This is all done through MonitorDescriptor objects. Its a very flexible system allowing you the programmer to also redefine what information is displayed, or define descriptors for any custom class (like controllers) that may appear in the scene graph.

Could you show an exemple on how to use MonitorDescriptor with a custom class please ?

renanse said:

Very nice work!  Being able to write to the scene graph seems like a logical next step.  It could then be a nice replacement for the handful of small editor panes we currently have.

I share Renanse point of vue. Do you intend to go in this direction too ?
If it is the case, I think a load/save scene method could be the next step.

Thanks again for this great tool.

Hi Nymon,

no more NumberFormatException!  :slight_smile:

N.

It already writes to the scenegraph, works perfectly.

Another thought: I think the jME developers should consider adding this to all the tests so that newcomers may play around with the tests and experiment without needing to change any code.

a NewComer game class?  :smiley:

FredB said:

Could you show an exemple on how to use MonitorDescriptor with a custom class please ?

Sure, I'll whip up an example shortly.

This is the best thing EVER.

Nymon, congratulations for this. Fantastic jobs.

It is working like a charm with jME2 and Indoor Battles.

Very helpful, very well done, great usability, easy integration…

(I am only missing a SceneMonitor.getMonitor().isVisible() ;). )

jjmontes said:

(I am only missing a SceneMonitor.getMonitor().isVisible() ;). )

I'll put that in this evening, when I get a chance to work on that example for FredB.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

First, very impressive work!

I think this would be really cool while adding content to Fyrestone (like trees, rocks, and other modeled things).

However, we use a dynamic tile loader that keeps detaching old TerrainPages and attaching new ones in the direction you're moving, so would this follow us as we move along?

Trussell said:

However, we use a dynamic tile loader that keeps detaching old TerrainPages and attaching new ones in the direction you're moving, so would this follow us as we move along?

It should! It reflects the state of the scene graph, so when your scene changes (adding/removing, etc.) you should see that in Scene Monitor as well. Try it out, let me know how it works for you. We might want to add descriptors for TerrainPages and some other stuff. I'm working up an example so people can add stuff I haven't gotten too.

I'm not getting it to work :frowning:

Seems like the jar files get's currupted when I dowload them. If I open the jars, some class-files are damaged and the manifest can't be read.

Could you zip or rar them because it might be IE that is stupid.  :x

looks like a really good tool to have :slight_smile: so thanks for sharing!

Sure, I can zip them. I'll try to do it this evening when I get home.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Haladria said:

Seems like the jar files get's currupted when I dowload them. If I open the jars, some class-files are damaged and the manifest can't be read.

Could you zip or rar them because it might be IE that is stupid.  :x

Here you go... they are zipped then tar'd, thats the only way I could fake out freewebs to upload it (doesn't allow zips).

[Edited... See post below]

Here's the new latest version, small changes from before…

[*:65439] Added isVisible() function
    [*:65439] Fixed some swing thread stuff to prevent NPE's

The new links have all the libraries for each jME version in a tarred zip.
[Edited: Removed old links, see this post for updated links]

Also, as requested by some is an eclipse project containing a small test case and an example of creating your own property pages, porperty cell editors and property cell renderers. Hopefully this will help you at least get started.

Edited: Link removed

Yeah that was hosted on freewebs and was lost due to inactivity. Your best bet is to just take a peek at the source for Scene Monitor, since its heavily use there. Sorry about that.

Here is the 1.0 release of Scene Monitor. The jars are a little larger as I have included the docs. As promised is a zip containing the source, and the source of two dependency projects. Also, in order to compile you will need the jME Physics 2 project. I havn’t gotten around to setting up google code but will do soon. Enjoy.

Edited: Scene Monitor Google Code Project

Works perfect now! Even with the shared meshes :slight_smile:

Hmm… this tool would be nice for editing my gui layout as well, which is also a tree (of ILayout). In its current form, it only works on SceneElement, yes? Would it be much work for me to change it to use it on my layouts? Are you willing to release the source?

I am willing to release the source, and I plan to. I was going to hold off until I finalized version 1.0, but I can send you a copy of it in its current state.

The tree implementation is a separate project with specific tree models written for jME, and currently it only supports Node objects as a root. I probably should look at having it take SceneElement instead. I would also like to abstract out the view display, as now it is specifically JTree, into one that can support different implementations like I do for the information pane below it.

I'll begin thinking these things through, but realistically I think they will go on the roadmap for version 2. The next version is looking to be far more flexible and capable, so keep asking these questions so that I can design for them.

Back to your question, if you wanted to adapt it to use ILayout it wouldn't be a big job. I would require some datatype changes, and a TreeModel. But these substitutions should be straight forward. PM me if your up for it.

How long to you now estimate to the release of version 1 with sources and a more or less 'final' product? Final in the sense of version 1… with stuff left over for version 2?