Screen shot of scene editor

Here is the first screen shot of my scene editor for JME.

The tree in the upper left corner allows you to select both spirals and states for editing. The 3D window currently allows you to view the scene and will hopefully eventually let you edit with a mouse. I would like to request that the editor becomes part of JME when it is done. Comments are welcome.

Is there any way to combine the two boxes into one program? Maybe give it a menu bar with common things a user could want to do. Did you make it thread safe somehow? I’ll need to be if the AWT is changing the scenegraph. I think a scene viewer where users could edit varables on the fly would be a great debugging and learning tool, but could become extreamly complex. I have tons of ideas, but it could easily get very big. The jme .jar size should be a consideration. I was thinking about just distributing the base XML and jME binary code with jME and making the converters part of a “converter” jar. What is everyone’s ideas on a main jme.jar and then various jme-loader.jar, jme-effects.jar, jme-editor.jar and so on and so on? I very much support the idea of an official scene viewer/editor if for learning purposes only, but as a seperate .jar so people don’t have to distribute it unneeded when they use their game.

"Cep21" wrote:
Did you make it thread safe somehow? I'll need to be if the AWT is changing the scenegraph.
I took the code to combine AWT with JME from the particle editor demo. So far I haven't had much trouble with the multitasking. But I will look in to making it more safe if I nead to.
"Cep21" wrote:
The jme .jar size should be a consideration. I was thinking about just distributing the base XML and jME binary code with jME and making the converters part of a "converter" jar. What is everyone's ideas on a main jme.jar and then various jme-loader.jar, jme-effects.jar, jme-editor.jar and so on and so on? I very much support the idea of an official scene viewer/editor if for learning purposes only, but as a seperate .jar so people don't have to distribute it unneeded when they use their game.
The code right now is in around 5 classes in side the jmetest package. And I think that seperit Jars would be a good, as long as it is not two confusing.
"Cep21" wrote:
I have tons of ideas,
I would like to hear them.

Well what I would like it to do is for me to be able to say “I’m not to sure how lights work in jME. Why don’t I create a light and give it these properties to see how it looks” as a learning tool. And be able to so “I’ve just created a neat way to animate files in the .uber format, but it’s not looking right. I want to be able to change variables on the fly while it’s running to see how this animation looks diffrent” as a debugging tool. It would also be nice to be able to pause animations while they are happening so I can change more than 1 variable at once. Or maybe cut/paste things in the scenegraph to see how they look at diffrent places. And pretty it up a lot. Allow users to create scenegraphs in java, serialize them to a stream, and read them back with this for debugging.

I don’t think making a product to compete with 3ds or ms3d or maya for modeling effects is what it should (or can) be. I’ld like it to be for learning and debuging mostly (it has lots of potential there), so I would focus on adding things that make those two easy.

Badmi, that looks fantastic. I lean more towards making it an official jME tool. I’d give it full exposure, it’s own section in the utilities and tools section, etc. That way, the core jME API stays just that, a core API. Not to mention, I think people could run it easier as a seperate entity (we could make it webstartable, etc). However, if people feel they’d prefer it within the jME jar, I’m willing to go that way.

Great work, I’d love to play with it.

Look nice, great job Bamdi, one little small suggestion, can you attach a small textual entry on the top of the entity, that identifies it ( i.e its name ), also texture manager would be a nice feature, would be great if i register a texture, and apply it to my entity in the game editor. (Just a thought)

Badmi,

I like the idea and I am in favour of the editor becomes part of JME tools. Would be great if the two windows could be combined a bit like frames in web pages so you can modify things in one frame and things happen in other frames.

tomcat

Having done the particle editor I can see why you have it split up the way you do, so I personally think it’s fine. Maybe when LWJGL has an official 1.0 we can port both of our apps to SWT so that the windows CAN be combined (because they can’t currently…) I won’t list any feature suggestions because my own thoughts echo a lot of the suggestions by Cep. As for package inclusion though, it seems smart to instead include it as an official download on this site in a standalone tool (as mojo says) rather than merging it with the library jar. It could even be webstart enabled giving users instant access to the latest version. We should want our official library jar to be as small as possible to make downloads and such quick.

Keep it up, it’s looking good.

so far, all what you have done can be accomplished in a very complicated way in max, making it simpler would keep me and my team sane! I strongly support the idea of making it as a tool like the particle editor.

One day perhaps this could be the front end to jME, just like Unreal engine.

Keep it up. :slight_smile:

DP

This is an excellent tool - good job, Badmi.

I’ll echo the sentiments of everyone else by saying that I’d prefer to see it as a separate entity to the core jME API. Also, making it Webstart enabled would be ideal. I think it would encourage people to toy with jME and start using it.

I’m also in favour of using the scene editor as a debugging / testing tool. Instant visual access to internal rendering and logic data would be of immense use. Lighting not working correctly for your model? Use “display normals” to check that they look OK. Strange texturing artifacts? Alter filtering and properties in just a few clicks.

I see quite a lot of potential in the scene editor. It would certainly be another step towards a professional quality engine and API.

"Cep21" wrote:
I don't think making a product to compete with 3ds or ms3d or maya for modeling effects is what it should (or can) be. I'ld like it to be for learning and debuging mostly (it has lots of potential there), so I would focus on adding things that make those two easy.

As of now you can edit the mager aspects of objects but can not edit individual triangles, normals, texture coordinates, extra. To get a TriMesh with these properties customized you must import a Mesh created with a modeler. By the way, for my editor to work I need the methods in LoaderNode to be public. This lets me load objects that will be marked to be imported making the files smaller.