Screenshot and screencast on linux

Hi everyone, is there a way that i could take a screenshot or make a screencast using jme on linux? Anyone have tried this?

Thanks.

gnomes screenshot tool works perfectly.

jME has a builtin screenshot capability as well.

Yes it is possible, using jME directly. But the resulting animation is very low fps, with unpredictable intervals of time between frames.

Other possibilities are to use ffmpeg to capture screen (i know it is possible but I do not know the command) or another program, a little more User Friendly, based on GTK that is XVidCap. It needs some text conf file to be setted up if you want better control, before to use it.

My guess is that'll just give you a big black square though, since all the rendering is send straight to the videocard. You're need a video capture program that supports OpenGL, with a bit of Google you should be able to find pages like this:

http://www.neopsis.com/projects/yukon/

I already tested with succes XVidCap. No black screen. It supports OpenGL windows capture.

Anyway I have nvidia card with nvidia drivers, so I do not know about other architectures. Moreover I also have Gentoo Linux, that is really simple to configure and really well preconfigured about these things.

Ender said:

I already tested with succes XVidCap. No black screen. It supports OpenGL windows capture.

Anyway I have nvidia card with nvidia drivers, so I do not know about other architectures. Moreover I also have Gentoo Linux, that is really simple to configure and really well preconfigured about these things.

Here xvidcap doesn't work, i am using ati radeon, yukon i will test later, but for now i want more a screenshot tool, if jme has it builtin how can i use it? Or if not, what other tool does that?
Thanks

On linux kde there is ksnapshot you can use to create screenshots.

For build-in screenshot function check https://jme.dev.java.net/source/browse/jme/src/com/jme/app/BaseSimpleGame.java?rev=1.26&view=markup on how to use.

Something like:

display.getRenderer().takeScreenShot( "SimpleGameScreenShot" );

I will try the build-in tool later, i didn't realize but the gnome print screen actually works with it, ok it's not the perfect solution but it is fine for now that i can waste too much time on this kind of thing.

Thank you.

as far as making videos, I just tried gtk-recordmydesktop in Ubuntu 7.04(feisty) and had excellent results, you have to change setting "full shots for every frame" to enabled, and adjust the fps, i used 24fps. also you should select a window or it will record your whole screen.

I found it, if you press F1 a screenshot  is taken, named "SimpleGameScreenShot.png" in root folder. If you press again, the new one will overwrite the older because the name is the same.

:slight_smile: