SDK freezes fixed and SceneViewer closable now!

Hey monkeys,

@Momoko_Fan changed the OpenGL canvas implementation of jME3 which should on one hand make it easier to use jME3 in swing applications and on the other hand… It finally allows me to make the SceneViewer closable(!!) The freezes that some people experienced in Alpha-4 should be gone too now as the jME3 update loop does not block against the event dispatch thread of AWT anymore, please test all situations that were problematic before.

This of course also means that all operations can now be considered “safe” even when the SceneViewer is not opened. Since the jME3 update loop continues to run it can be used as the global execution queue and no operation will suspend until the SceneViewer is open anymore or be executed on another thread because it isn’t.

Please also check if the SceneViewer window performs as expected, it should open when a plugin uses it and close when the plugin is closed. If you encounter situations where you have to open it manually or it closes when switching between plugins, please tell me.

The fix is only available through the nightly update center until its thoroughly tested.

Have fun and give feedback,

Normen

There are some issues to fix still. For example, when you detach the canvas you will get an OpenGL Invalid Value error, and when the application simpleInitApp() is called the renderer.getCaps() will be empty.

The latter issue will be fixed by temporarily creating a headless context and retrieving renderer capabilities from there.

Hey, mine still freezes :frowning:

I start jMP with the SceneViewer closed, then I right-click a scene and choose “Edit in Scene composer” then jMP freezes.

Also if I open the scene viewer from the Window menu then edit my scene it works fine until I click something in the composer tools e.g. to show grid or add something to the scene, then jMP freezes as well.

This is the first time I have actually used the scene composer so I’m not sure how it was before, tho I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to freeze :wink:

before “Edit in scene composer”:

Have a try to open the scene viewer, then close it. And then try to choose “Edit in scene composer”.

Core devs you rule!!! Thanks for fixing!!!

mifth said:
before "Edit in scene composer":
Have a try to open the scene viewer, then close it. And then try to choose "Edit in scene composer".

sweet, that worked :D

Another problem that we have to work around still is that no previews (NiftyGUI, Model Import, Material Preview) work while the SceneViewer is closed…

Did anybody fix the OpenGL Invalid Value error? I am unable to reproduce it

Do you mean the “BadValue” error? I still get it if a java file is showing instead the scene viewer when I close jMP.

filinep said:
Do you mean the "BadValue" error? I still get it if a java file is showing instead the scene viewer when I close jMP.

No, we had an "OpenGL Invalid Value" error happening before.
I tried to do what you said with the java file being open, and it did not work (this is using Windows btw)

Hello, I am currently using jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0beta and it always freezes when I hit ALT+SHIFT (to change keyboard layout).

Can anybody help?

also when i change keyboard layout by clicking mouse

@niksteven said:
Hello, I am currently using jMonkeyEngine SDK 3.0beta and it always freezes when I hit ALT+SHIFT (to change keyboard layout).
Can anybody help?

also when i change keyboard layout by clicking mouse

I cannot reproduce this. I assume you're using Linux?