SDK freezing when I do a clean and build

Ive noticed that it’s started to become an issue ever since the 3.0 release, eveyr once in a while when I do clean and build the whole sdk freezes… but now that i just updated from 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 it seems to happen EVERY time I do a clean and build.

has anyone else experienced this problem? is this atleast a known issue?

I’ve never had this happen. What OS?

@t0neg0d I can reproduce this issue (again only very recently started happening):

JMonkey SDK 3.0 - all recent updates installed

The clean and build appears to finish successfully but after that the IDE becomes unresponsive (sometimes completely stopped sometimes just painfully slow) and if you go to annother program and back again the window is sometime black, sometimes remains unresponsive and is very occasionally ok again.

You can see the hung state here: http://imgur.com/hLHpxq0

Did you download the latest release of 3.0.5? I know you can update to it via the plugin menu but the new installer contains a new JDK (1.7u51) that might solve some of your issues.

I had this problem too, i tried to delete the netbeans cache (yeah, the ide is actually netbeans behind the monkey face) but it only worked for a little time. But you can do it, it “helps”.

I solved the problem by removing the “too much” project dependencies i had, i.e. i had a main project and i had plugins that used the main project as a backend and they also shared some libs, and all of that was creating the bug.

So, i removed this project dependencies and now i just add the resulting jar as lib (the plugin “includes” the jar of the main project, but it is not linked to the main project directly).

@normen Have reinstalled using most recent version, Clean & Build still causes it to hang after completion.

Interestingly the very first clean and build caused a short unresponsiveness (5 seconds) before recovering. The second Clean & Build hung completely

Same problem for me too. Not really the clean & build but sometimes (often?) after the clean & build the SDK launches a “background scanning of projects” and that’s here the freeze appears…my SDK is completly frozen until i close it with the windows task manager.

I think it has begun with 3.0.1…i believe…I’m on W7 too and i’ve just installed the latest SDK with new blender and new JDK…the same.

btw, it seems (it was true for me) that the root of the problem is the “Background scanning of projects”, that start when you do a clean and build and causes the freeze.

I’ve also experienced similar issues, haven’t tried the latest release though

You can disable background scanning and as was mentioned might want to clear your cache directory.

The following refers to experiences on a windows 7 64 bit system with the most to date JMonkey IDE (downloaded today). On this system the IDE becomes unresponsive with no indication it is doing anything after a “clean and build” is performed

Clearing the cache
This didn’t solve the problem

Disable background scanning
Initially I tried installing “Scan on demand” which was pitched as allowing background scanning to be disabled while still enabling some control over project scanning - this trashed the IDE, projects could no longer be opened and uninstalling the plugin did not revert the problems. JMonkey had to be reinstalled

Then I disabled auto-scanning of projects (Options > Miscellaneous > Files > untick “Enable auto-scanning of sources”), this seems to have resolved the problem, clean and build no longer leads to an unresponsive IDE. I assume that there will be some back-lash from turning this off somewhere down the line - I look forward to that. <Edit> An unresponsive IDE still sometimes occures (50% or so), it seems to reduce the likelyhood rather than eliminating the problem entirely.

@normen is this a JMonkey issue or a Netbeans issue that we just have to live with?

1 Like
@richtea said: The following refers to experiences on a windows 7 64 bit system with the most to date JMonkey IDE (downloaded today). On this system the IDE becomes unresponsive with no indication it is doing anything after a "clean and build" is performed

Clearing the cache
This didn’t solve the problem

Disable background scanning
Initially I tried installing “Scan on demand” which was pitched as allowing background scanning to be disabled while still enabling some control over project scanning - this trashed the IDE, projects could no longer be opened and uninstalling the plugin did not revert the problems. JMonkey had to be reinstalled

Then I disabled auto-scanning of projects (Options > Miscellaneous > Files > untick “Enable auto-scanning of sources”), this seems to have resolved the problem, clean and build no longer leads to an unresponsive IDE. I assume that there will be some back-lash from turning this off somewhere down the line - I look forward to that.

@normen is this a JMonkey issue or a Netbeans issue that we just have to live with?

I rather guess its a windows or java issue. Anyway theres not much to fear here. This is just to scan the views of files and folders, so if you e.g. delete a folder you might have to manually refresh the view in the IDE.

clearing my cache and turning off background scanning worked for me for a while. though it just happened to me again >.<

Im about to try clearing my cache again, but it would be quite painful to have to do that like once per week.

is there someway to increase the cache size or something (assuming that there might be a problem with running out of space in the cache somehow)

edit: after clearing my cache and loading up the sdk again. i saw a message on the bottom saying “background scanning of projects” which is weird because i turned that off. I went to tools->options and it was enabled somehow. Its possible somehow it thought it knew more than me about what settings i like (or maybe it reset it because i cleared my cache, who knows)

also for reference, my cache folder was exactly 75 megs when i went to delete it after the crash. im curious to see if this is the point at which other people have problems too.

1 Like

My cache folder was 56,8 megs after the crash occured. So the cache size seems not to be the problem. BTW the cache is located in $USERPROFILE/AppData/Roaming/.jmonkeyplatform/3.0/var/cache

I am using windows 7 and the JME SDK release 3.0 with all updates installed. The SDK freezes very often after clean & build. The prior version of the SDK 3.0RC2 was much more “stable” in my case. The SDK freezes during “background scanning of projects”.

1 Like