SDK platform base 7.2 – please test!

Tried with windows 7 64 bit. I got the same issue but when i tried to create a new project i an error message appeared telling me that junit isn’t installed, but i guess it’s normal since i never installed junit (however i don’t have this issue with the ‘normal’ beta).

When i i closed IDE i didn’t receive any error message, then i tried to open it again and it got stuck at “Turning on modules”, aftet a while the loader disapeared and the IDE never appeared.

EDIT: Also tried to run from cmd with “jmonkeyplatform.exe” and “jmonkeyplatform.exe --console new” and it does the same without any output.

2 Likes
@StuMx said:
i an error message appeared telling me that junit isn't installed, but i guess it's normal since i never installed junit (however i don't have this issue with the 'normal' beta).

You can just press the "resolve" button to... resolve this :) Thanks for testing!
2 Likes
@wezrule said:
you have the same issue as me, on windows 32 and 64 bit. Can you right click "run as administrator" and see if it works

Works running as administrator. It then shuts down without any errors. It then still fails at "turning on modules" when not running as administrator.
1 Like

yeh these symptoms seem to be unanimous

All we have is a privilege issue: it only runs as administrator because it’s installed with administrator privileges (windows ask for them to install jme). I have copied the install directory to my user dir using my normal user privileges, then uninstalled the one in c:/program files. Finally tried to use the one in my user dir and it worked like a charm.

2 Likes
@StuMx said:
All we have is a privilege issue

Yeah exactly, I just have to get around this or simply apply the correct user rights to the settings folder in the installer.

Ah just so we are clear, does this happen when the settings folder is deleted before (that is its a “clean install”) and you do not use the “launch application now” checkbox after installation? In other words is the “launch application now” the bad boy starting the SDK as admin (and then creating the settings folder)?

No, i’ve just reinstalled (erasing all settings) and unchecked the “launch aplication now” checkbox. The issue persist.

Sorry about my bad english by the way. Im not used to speak/write in english.

1 Like

Your English is pretty good really StuMx, no need to apologise :slight_smile:

Windows 7 64 bit

Installed without problems, even with previous SDK running

I installed this sdk outside C:/Program Files ( D:/JME3NB7 ) and both auto launch and desktop shortcut worked without any issue

I could run previous project and detected Git without problem but “I lose” all other plugins and updates, is there a way to just reference them without download again?

I’ve got the unresolved junit … but the resolve just download the plugin… so… if now junit “is need”, why don’t just add it to avoid this step.

Cheers.

1 Like
@fifino said:
I installed this sdk outside C:/Program Files ( D:/JME3NB7 ) and both auto launch and desktop shortcut worked without any issue

Thats very interesting, thanks.
@fifino said:
I could run previous project and detected Git without problem but "I lose" all other plugins and updates, is there a way to just reference them without download again?

This version cannot be updated at all, the "real" new version will of course have all the latest updates applied. The application uses a completely new settings directory. This is what will happen with all major updates (e.g. 3.0->3.1) as the functionality of the SDK and engine might (and hopefully will) change and improve so much that a re-import of the project sources and assets is recommended anyway and plugins will most probably have to be adapted (or at least tested) too.
@fifino said:
I've got the unresolved junit .. but the resolve just download the plugin.. so.. if now junit "is need", why don't just add it to avoid this step.

I don't know why the platform does it like this, there might be a license issue with bundling the library.
1 Like

Here’s what Geertjan Wielenga had to say:

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/trying_out_jmonkeyengine_sdk_3

@erlend_sh said:
Here's what Geertjan Wielenga had to say:
https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/trying_out_jmonkeyengine_sdk_3

Haha, how cool ^^
Edit: Even he didn't just press the "resolve" button ^^ Its too simple xD
1 Like

“Has been a complete success” :smiley:

Shame he didn’t create a JMEtests project and show something a little more impressive but still considering all he did was download the SDK and follow the first tutorial it shows that that all works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Windows XP SP3 32-Bit, works also fine

@zarch said:
Shame he didn't create a JMEtests project and show something a little more impressive but still considering all he did was download the SDK and follow the first tutorial it shows that that all works :)

Yeah, exactly, #1 monkey :D
@doe300 said:
Windows XP SP3 32-Bit, works also fine

Thanks, so thats without the user rights / administrator issue on XP?
1 Like

Well,

In my Linux (Slackware 13.37 64 bits) definitely there were improvements. Now I can pick an animated char from assets, view the model on openGL Window, run animations, close the window, and then repeat the process with another animation. When I tried to do it before, with the release and the nightly, after open one model, I was never able to open another one.

If I get an error on model (and I have a lot of problematic ones from tests I am making to learn things) then JME may go wrong, and I have to restart it.

1 Like

I’m now getting the following error when running my project:

[java]

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Direct buffer memory

at java.nio.Bits.reserveMemory(Bits.java:658)

at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(DirectByteBuffer.java:123)

at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(ByteBuffer.java:306)

[/java]

This is very confusing because in the line, that the exception is referring to i attach my scene.

The Scene itself can easily be opened and edited in the editor.

How do I increase the Memory?

EDIT: Funny… changed nothing, started again and it works…

Hi monkeys, @normen:

Just wanted to inform that Netbeans 7.2 is out! :slight_smile:

http://netbeans.org/community/releases/72/

Cheers

Ok, so today i wanted to give the SDK another try.

It has definitely become better. Installing went without problems, which wasn’t exactly true for the last version.

But i have still some issues:

a.) Fonts were rendered poorly in menues. So i added the lines @normen provided in the first post to the config and it got better. Now, only disabled menu items were rendered poorly.

b.) I can’t take screenshots inside netbeans. Taking screenshots everywhere else is no problem, but as soon as i try to take a screenshots when the sdk is up it simply does nothing.

c.) When i open the SDK, the scene explorer is shown and empty. I can then load my scene and edit it in the scene explorer. As soon as i switch to a source code file and back to the scene explorer, the open gl window disapears, there is only the background color of the panel shown.

I am running Ubuntu 11.10. I’m using a Radeon HD 4890 with the proprietary 64-Bit Catalyst Driver 12.4 (can’t update to 12.6 as it no longer supports my graphics card).

Any help in getting the SDK working properly would be greatly appreciated. I really want to give the SDK another try.

1 Like