Seeking alpha testers for SkyControl

Seems to be because of his use of 0 instead of 0.0.

There are ways to get this to throw errors even on more lenient nVidia setups by declaring GLSL110 instead of GLSL100 in the j3md… and it really makes no difference in level of compatibility it just means that you get better errors instead of waiting until someone runs the shader on a Mac.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip, @pspeed. I’ll declare GLSL110, clean up my shaders, and report back ASAP.

@JonatanDahl: I’ve committed an attempt at a fix. Given that I don’t have a MacBook handy, I’d be grateful if you’d update via subversion and re-test.

1 Like

This is officially really cool. I’ve been looking for ways to do proper sky/weather simulations and this is a huge stepping stone.

Going to play with the code for a while and see if I come up with anything cool. First thing will probably be to try to add support for different cloud conditions, such as fully / partially overcast, low clouds, and fog. Do you have any plans in that regard yourself?

2 Likes

Hey @sgold, it’s running on my OS X now!

1 Like

Thanks for confirming the fix, @JonatanDahl. Happy trails!

Over the past week or so I’ve been thinking about adding texture assets for overcast, stratocumulus, and so on. However, I’d be happy to leave this subproject to someone more motivated than I. If that’s you, @stenb, then let me know!

The main snag I foresee is that the cloud layers in SkyControl are two-dimensional. This is fine for “flat” clouds, but it means that “towering” clouds which look goodnear the horizon might look bizarre if they pass overhead.

I’ll give this a go after the holidays.

I’m only getting a minute here and there to do anything as of late.

2 Likes

I am particularly interested in your feedback, @t0neg0d. Enjoy your holidays!

@sgold I’ll have some time to play with this over the christmas break, so I’ll see what I can do. Finding texture assets for the most common cloud conditions should be manageable.

I’ve also been looking at weather effects lately, but there’s few existing projects for me to look at, and I’m only now learning about graphics programming. Just the task of implementing a believable rain effect seems to get very involved, so I’m not sure if I’ll get the time to do that before well into next year.

1 Like

whats hardware spec for this? couse im getting “Framebuffer object format is unsupported by the video hardware.” :frowning:

@eraslt said: whats hardware spec for this? couse im getting "Framebuffer object format is unsupported by the video hardware." :(

What video card do you have? Should work on anything but the oldest integrated GPUs I think. Did you try to update drivers?

do i need gpu to run this? :open_mouth: :smiley: its quite lowend gpu: NV44 [GeForce 7100 GS]
were not allowed to have good gpu’s at work :frowning:
i will try this at home this evening too

@eraslt said: do i need gpu to run this? :O :D its quite lowend gpu: NV44 [GeForce 7100 GS]

Better check that video card if you can, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could find a fossilized dinosaur on it. :wink:

@eraslt said: do i need gpu to run this? :O :D

See here for requirements to run jme3: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:requirements

“AMD/ATI Radeon 9500, NVIDIA GeForce 5 FX, Intel GMA 4500, or better supporting OpenGL 2.0 or better (native libraries are included in download)”

Not sure how your GPU relates to this. If it’s GeForce 4 then it’s not supported by jme3.

@stenb said: @sgold I'll have some time to play with this over the christmas break, so I'll see what I can do. Finding texture assets for the most common cloud conditions should be manageable.

I’ve also been looking at weather effects lately, but there’s few existing projects for me to look at, and I’m only now learning about graphics programming. Just the task of implementing a believable rain effect seems to get very involved, so I’m not sure if I’ll get the time to do that before well into next year.

My game-plan for cloud textures was to base them on weather satellite photos. With a little gimpwork I imagine they could be flattened out and turned into monochrome seamless textures. A cyclone would be high on my list.

Let’s follow up in January.

@eraslt said: whats hardware spec for this? couse im getting "Framebuffer object format is unsupported by the video hardware." :(

As far as I know, the hardware requirements for SkyControl are simply those of JME3 itself. I think the IDE checks those each time it runs, so I’m puzzled as to why this error would be associated with SkyControl. I’ll do some research.

Speaking of hardware, my development platform has an NVIDIA GeForce GT 545 graphics adapter and an i5-2320 CPU. It runs TestSkyControl at 29 fps in 1920x1080 with 32 bpp. However, most of that juice goes to the landscape, which contains over 500K triangles. If I comment out the call to landscapeControl.setEnabled(), the frame rate rises to 300 fps. I’m sure there’s plenty of room for optimization, however.

tried run at home so it goes like a charm :slight_smile:
and on work pc i can still develop, run and test my game, havent got any problems before, except low pfs :smiley:

Hi,

the skydome looks really good. i will try it out in my game Drohtin and give you some feedback (post some pics here and on my homepage). If everything looks fine I will use it in the final game.

Hi,

I used your Skydome in my game. I am realy impressed how easy it is and how good it works. I have some small issues. I will try to make it clear with the following screenshots.

As you can see at this pic the clouds end at some point near the horizon. This happen when I use cloudFlattering > 0.

I have some problems with the gras. I am using GrasLayerUtil from l2jserver-client project. I am sure about this problem. It could be possible that the gras doesn’t work very well.

In the last pic you can see a very nice result. I am very happy with the new sky and I will definitly use it. If you want to read more about the this skydome in my game Drohtin check out this post.

I read something about the software license. So wich one do you use?