Seeking two specific examples of InputHandler usage

While I think I understand the basics of how to use jME's input system (or at least one of the ways to do so), there are a couple of details which don't seem to be covered in the wiki or included test classes (I've got build 4554) that I'm going to end up needing to know for a project. Specifically, I need examples of correct ways to:

1. Compose two InputHandlers, each of which maps a different command to the same binding, and control consumption of the relevant event by the inner handler (optional, since it's obvious I can just make a signaling system between them). So far my attempts to do this have run into a few obstacles: InputHandler's created ActionTrigger.CommandTriggers appear to be built for exclusive event consumption (based on the contents of the class's performAction() method), some of the triggers which InputHandler creates are made within a private final class (making extending it to use a custom ActionTrigger subclass difficult), and an InputHandler hierarchy appears to check for valid commands at its own level before letting its subhandlers do so (not a serious issue, though the reverse of the behaviour I need). As I'm just getting started with jME and therefore may be simply misreading the source, comments are welcome.

2. Artificially create an input event to be processed by the system, similar to a jME-only version of java.awt.Robot's methods. While there are other ways to build a record/playback feature, an initial data and logic state plus input events seems to be the most compact base for one.

I apologize if (as seems likely) both of these topics have been thoroughly covered in existing forum threads, and if so would appreciate links or search text to locate them.