(September 2016) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

3 Likes

Working hard on my debug project. Testing multiple AI’s , dialogue boxes , entity controls , physics controls and more. I only have one more thing to test and I’m going to release this as a demo along with another demo I’m still chipping away at. My secret game project is coming along nicely too albeit much slower.

The recording is slow because I’m using my laptop.

I should make a final boss called the nuclear weasel :wink:

6 Likes

100% admiration in this case.

In my defense, when I worked with the really smart math guys… sometimes I’d come up with stuff that would perplex them until they went off and scribbled for a while.
Me: “We should be able to just do this… and then a dot product.”
Them: “But that shouldn’t work because… Wait…” (goes off and scribbles)
Them sometime later: "Yeah, that will work… we just need to account for these edge cases and pole problems… " whatever.

It always felt good when I could get a math guy to check his books because otherwise I was the dumb guy in the room. I just know a (relatively small) bag of tricks and have figured out 50 ways to apply them together.

P.S.: dot product is still my very favorite magic thing.

3 Likes

This may or may not be worth an hour of peoples’ time:

…it’s not a math specific talk and has some neat insights about quaternions and stuff that maybe you guys haven’t thought of yet.

It’s a good example of the level I operate at. I could follow his thread and still feel dumb about all of the little math cliffs he walks next to. I really miss having a team of math-smart guys who could go along after me and make my stuff robust by fixing all of the things like mentioned in the last Q/A answer. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Some people hate math after university. But I don’t think you need to be smart to know math. You just need free time, will and some good visualised tutorials. No real interest in hard learning is a main reason.

Great presentation 10/10, watched the whole thing. Metaballs are like the ideal solution to water simulation/visualization. On the other hand the marching cubes approach sounds really inefficient for the approximate result it gives. How does that ever work fast enough for realtime?

The guy did forget to mention that quaternion lerp gets progressively worse the larger the angle is, though. It’s not something magically almost the same like he tells it.

Didn’t quite get the last part with the collisions, but as long as bullet handles that for me I’m good. :grinning:

I’ve always hated math myself. Okay not exactly accurate, I’ve always hated the way schools do and present math. They make us solve hundreds of imaginary problems to learn the principles. While reasonably effective it has the side effect of making you hate every living moment of it because it appears as sisyphean work, with no end or apparent purpose apart from not getting graded badly.

Only after starting gamedev/programming and facing some real world math problems it became far more interesting and fun to do.

Project work on some tangible real problems should be the way to study math in my opinion.

5 Likes

HUD got some updates since I last posted:

Also local syncing with PC (LAN sync) and options already work :chimpanzee_closedlaugh:

10 Likes

Hey community,

the last days I worked on footstep sounds. Depending on the surface you are walking on a specific sound should be played. For models this works fine, but I haven’t done it for different terrain textures yet. Not sure if I am going to implement that at all … (we will see)

Anyway, I uploaded a short video clip for you:

That will be the last update from me for this month. See you in the next one :grinning:

Greetings,
Domenic

7 Likes

Working with Lua. First tests using Lua and Lemur:

Poof

public class base extends TwoArgFunction {

##Poof

require "LuaLemur.base"

--testing strings
print ("Text");
print "Why is this not printed?";

--debug
for k,v in pairs(Lemur) do
  print (k,v)
end

--debug
for k,v in pairs (Lemur.Example) do
  print (k,v)
end

--The only function
f = Lemur.Example.HelloWorld
f()

##Poof

(Don’t worry, I know exactly what’s wrong)
(Actually, I don’t, but I know how to fix it)

5 Likes

What’s wrong with just using Java?

Working on a larger project with Lua (Lua is way easier for small, quick scripts) and decided on using Lemur to test some Lua libraries.

1 Like

Uh yeah, have fun with that.

1 Like

Lua is VERY flexible and easy. Cool for big projects to allow players make their scripts, gui without extra knowledge.

1 Like

Well done! I always wanted to learn lua for in game scripting.
Did you try @Empire_Phoenix’s hardened lua or did you start from scratch?

4 Likes

I wanted to have scripting in my game. I have all these things I place, doors, lights, pointers, trigger boxes and so on, and I wanted the trigger box to be able to trigger a script. Then I also thought why not just java? Literally just send the relevant entities to the script from the trigger box, trigger box has the scripts class name and voila.

Is there an advantage beyond allowing players to make their own stuff? Seemed like I’d have less power with scripts.

1 Like

That’s seems legit. It’s all depend on situation. AAA projects often have reasons to use script languages. While it could be a waste of time for the most of indie projects. I don’t tell that “UARRGH IF YOU DON’T USE LUA YOU’RE COMPLETE IDIOT”. Personally I don’t use or going to use that.

In Java you also already have Javascript built right in. And if you prefer something more powerful/performant/also-compilable-to-java-for-more-static-stuff then there is groovy.

Lua definitely has its place but it also comes with a bunch of limitations… which are often desirable in the “user adding scripts” case.

However, if you want a powerful scripting language that also helps you-the-developer build your game, then Groovy can be an excellent choice.

2 Likes

Lua: where arrays start from 1.