(September 2018) Monthly WIP & Screenshot Thread

PBR or no?

If PBR… maybe you need a better default environment/probe thingy?

PBR with a simple “studio” env map, so yeah, some real colours, and including the road in the probe would help. So would a shadow or two. fiddle, fiddle, fiddle …

2 Likes

I did base it on your shaders, yes, and it is indeed to hide the transition swap.

Added transition particle animations:
http://simsilica.com/Downloads/balance-desktop-1.0.jar

…so now you can get a clearer picture of what’s moving where.

1 Like

makes a huge difference, thanks +++

turns out some of my white values were to high (in Substance Painter, I used a simple white plastic with white = 1,1,1 ,There was a similar issue with red wires and orange plastics) which was blowing everything out.

The different HDR adds some nice visual detail.

9 Likes

If it were my project, I’d work on making the plants grow upward, rather than normal to the ground.

Plants yes… grass, not so much. Tufts of grass tend to be perpendicular to the ground up to a certain point.

Now that I know it’s for sure using my original code: I spent a lot of time getting the grass oriented to the ground because it looked really dumb before that.

I think if there’s anything to pick on in those pictures, it’s coloring… or at least the contrast between the colors. But depending on the artistic effect intended, it might be on purpose.

For comparison, here is closer to the original coloring with the grass still following the hills like grass will do:

…that last one is before I added a shore line, though.

Hmmm… here’s one with the muddy shorelines:

I was trying to find one that showed the more subtle coloring for the stone to grass transition but you can kind of see it in that one.

3 Likes

I took that whole project apart and looked over the parts that interested me. It is your code that was the beginnings, and so cant escape the genetic similarities. i dont use your atmospheric scattering because i couldnt understand it, though it is a very similar procedure now that i do (rayleigh/mie). Same for the grass. Your notes are especially useful in your code, btw. I read the code and the GPU Gems article it was based on. Then wrote my own.

I dont like using other peoples code in this project. If i dont understand it i cant fix it or change it to my own liking. It may have taken me months to achieve what has already been achieved, but now i see the math in action and dictate its state.

The past 3, 4, 5 years Ive become something of a mathematician. Software dev is one thing, game dev is especially oriented on advanced/higher math than usual. I have to say I find a good paper or article unfathomably interesting these days.

Im pretty sure this is my third year writing this particular game. Who even knows anymore. i just work on it day by day or when i can, no “goal” date, but i would be really angry with myself right now had i not started at all.

Sometimes i make right decisions, sometimes i spend an annoyingly long time making the wrong ones. Tomorrow is another day. i have no goal date. id just rather spend my time learning the universal language than whatever the hell everyone else is doing. We live in a fucked up world, people. walk away. just walk away. Nobody cares if justin kissed his god damn wife. why is this even news!!! get off my screeeeeeennn!!!

5 Likes

LOL, yeah.

I didn’t mean to imply anything. I can only speak to the graphics and defend certain features as being appropriate or not… regardless of what code is drawing them. I just knew from experience why those particular things were probably being drawn that way.

1 Like

Not at all. I hold your opinion in high regard, Paul. Your code speaks for itself alone. Your work and will are very much appreciated.

1 Like

I feel the same way wrt my software projects. Last year I learned about quaternions. This year it’s Bullet.

same