Server side jME for collision checking

I'm still dorpping by every few months :wink:

After implementing some network logic and client side move ordering, i would now need the server to check for collisions when ordering a unit to move around (turn based).

So obviously, i need jME on the server side, as well.

But without textures, lighting, sound, input, and so on. Even without a rendering loop or any sense for passed time.

Just plain nodes and geometry to check every round of the game if the next move would cause collision or not.

I can imagine that this is a common need of (turn based) server/client games. So is there maybe any kind of preset for a jME "Server Version" or something?

Or can someone give me some hints like "just modify this this and this and you're fine" ?

I just used jME with a modified simpleGame class so far and thus don't have much idea of the internal processes of the engine.

So i thought maybe someone in here can give me a quick answer for stuff i would need days to "research" on my own… :slight_smile:

As a god user ;), i did some searching preliminary. Darkforg speaks about something like that in here:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=3614.0

But this only sounds like a side note… :confused:

Thx for answers

DummyDisplaySystem is what StandardGame uses (when in server mode).

We really need to move DummyDisplaySystem and change its name I think.  It is becoming more and more used and is poorly placed I think.

For networking are you using JGN, another API, or rolled your own?  (just curious for my hit list) :-p

I read that "StandardGame" of yours in the tutorial.

But i didn't find it in the jME package (updated around 2 days ago or so).

As far as my problem is concearned… i've been thinking.

As i only need some collision checking in my already running server app, shoudn't it be sufficient to just define a loose rootNode and attach everything to it "blindly"?

The whole stuff concearninng check collision, making rays in the scene, and so on should already function, then…

Guess i just gotta try that.

If it's not sufficient, i guess i have to catch on that whole StandardGame thing :slight_smile:

To the networking part:

I set up some simple server and a client code, communicating via sockets.

The server contains a hash table for registering and serving an unlimited amount of client and runs the 60-sec-is-one-turn logic.

Communication is via a simple Message class that contains a messageContent (which can be everything from a String to a complex java object) used for transfering data or orders from the client to the server.

It works quite well (so far) and in my opinion it was less work than making myself familiar with / adapting some networking framework that would probably either contain way too much (overhead) or not exactly what i want.

Although I may be wrong, of course :slight_smile:

That's why I wanted to know more about your JGN thing. To see if maybe it would be better to use that instead of my self tailored stuff :smiley:

StandardGame exists in the jmex package.