setUserData restricted to primitves

Hello,

I have got a wrapper class which encapsules a JME instance. For example MySpatial wraps a JME Spatial. If I perform picking, I only get JME geometry data back, no reference from the JME geometry to my wrapper class. The solution of course is to add a reference of my wrapper class to a JME Spatial (Spatial, SceneNode, Geometry everything that extends it). My first approach was to write a PickControl which I added to the controllers. This worked very fine of course, but controlers should be controlers and not containers for references. Then I recognized the setUserData method and thought “wow”, I can put everything there. The guys from JME are really clever :slight_smile: After I put my reference to userData and started my program I realized, that a

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unsupported type:

has been thrown. Opening source code → look for setUserData and suddenly my :slight_smile: changed to :(. Only primitves are allowed. Is there a better solution than adding a “dirty” PickControl to hold reference to my wrapper class?

Thanks.

Regards,

Equi

Hi, you can put anything to userdata as long as implements Saveable:

Code:
/** * Savable is an interface for objects that can be serialized * using jME's serialization system. * @author Dany */ public interface Savable { void write(JmeExporter ex) throws IOException; void read(JmeImporter im) throws IOException; }
2 Likes

Thanks. I didn’t see this.