Shader Flames

@nihal said: The flame with the red root glow has a really nice calming effect, almost hypnotizing, just like watching a real fire. ( I didn't mean to imply any pyromaniac tendencies here. )

Will such a nice and smooth effect not stand out quite a bit from the pixelized look of Mythruna?

Yes, that’s another reason I’m hand-painting some flames. Actually, Mythruna doesn’t have a pixelized look, actually. That’s Minecraft. But Mythruna does have a “fantasy painting” aesthetic that I will need to match.

This may be common knowledge to some but I didn’t know it so…

I finally got tired enough of nVidia being permissive that I looked into how to make it more strict. I found a thread that talked about why nvidia is permissive in the first place and how you can trick it into strict mode by specifying a version.

If I put #version 110 at the top of my files then all of the int to float warnings become errors and my shader properly breaks on my nvidia card. (#version 100 kicks out all kinds of errors that I didn’t fully understand so I went with 110 instead.)

Edit: actually GLSL110 in the j3md does the same thing and is more JME friendly.

4 Likes

For those interested, I’ve posted another flame test (should be mac friendly this time) that includes some variations of the flames with hand painted textures:
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-Linux.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-MacOSX.zip
http://mythruna.com/temp/FlameTest2-Windows.zip

Very nice, I think my fave is the one on the far left.

@zarch said: Very nice, I think my fave is the one on the far left.

Yeah, that’s probably the one I’ll go with for the general flame. One of the players likes the fourth one but the only difference is center brightness and I have some more flexibility with the far left one.

The nice thing is that it’s just a parameter adjustment to get different kinds of flames for different kinds of burning now. So if I want to have different kinds of combustion then I can make them look different easily.

Edit: this is from a different thread and irrelevant now anyway.

Anyway… I don’t have time to write my own test case right now and there is not a useful one posted yet to really get at the heart of it. Besides, I think if we “fix” this it should be after release. ie: after we release. In other words, we shouldn’t fix this until after we release. The change may cause other problems that will have to be worked out and so shouldn’t be messed with until after release. After release we can look at it again. :wink:

<cite>@pspeed said:</cite> Anyway... I don't have time to write my own test case right now and there is not a useful one posted yet to really get at the heart of it. Besides, I think if we "fix" this it should be after release. ie: after we release. In other words, we shouldn't fix this until after we release. The change may cause other problems that will have to be worked out and so shouldn't be messed with until after release. After release we can look at it again. ;)

Wrong thread?

@zarch said: Wrong thread?

Yes, the forum gets confused sometime. I definitely replied to a different thread.

Really impressive @pspeed! I’ve never seen any flames created like this, keep it up =)

Works like a charm now, and it looks really nice! =)