Shading or not?

my original idea was to do for my game completely shadeless, depending on texture tricks I picked up to add depth and  to give the game a toonish/comic feel and dark deco look similar to below for the world

but I played with normal maps recently and now I don’t know

so flat or shaded

side shots

I keep looking at them and changing my mind which I prefer :?.

I guess it would depend on what the background/levels looked like too.

I’m looking for a toony look with alot of black bleeding into/imposing on the scene/characters in some areas but mostly flat, there is a material that was created for blender called sincity that comes close to what I want to achieve, but will need to work on it and still it mght have to be transfered to GLSL,(which I know jack about) unless I find a non shader work around, wanted to add a grainy effect too a fullscreen quad with an alpha blended noise texture might do that though, any for better idea of where my head is for background/ atmosphere see below

I wouldn't completely overlook using shaders, as they can give you a lot of control over how to render your objects (e.g. to achieve a unique toony look). You can do a lot of stuff with the fixed pipeline materials and texture tricks, but you may actually end up having an easier time (and maybe even better performance) using shaders.

Any chances on shading only parts of the model? I'm not sure if this is easy in jME, or even projection rendering methods in general, but looking at the pictures it looks like only black areas are shaded.

Personally, I think that the front.jpg on the catwoman angle looks hawt (pvc shine on accentuated curves, etc.).  I'm sure you could do a bit more to tweak it toward a toonish feel, but I think that this style gives the ladies the proper depth/feel that the flat images don't.

ashtonv said:

Personally, I think that the front.jpg on the catwoman angle looks hawt (pvc shine on accentuated curves, etc.).  I'm sure you could do a bit more to tweak it toward a toonish feel, but I think that this style gives the ladies the proper depth/feel that the flat images don't.

I like the cat woman look to in fact, the materials I create originally had the accentuated curves the problem is that the effect wont look right if it is baked since the effect is modulated by the the models normals and camera angles, and shader wise, I don't even now where to start :? :(

with just a few seconds in blender needs work yes but i can get there
mcbeth said:

ashtonv said:

Personally, I think that the front.jpg on the catwoman angle looks hawt (pvc shine on accentuated curves, etc.).  I'm sure you could do a bit more to tweak it toward a toonish feel, but I think that this style gives the ladies the proper depth/feel that the flat images don't.

I like the cat woman look to in fact, the materials I create originally had the accentuated curves the problem is that the effect wont look right if it is baked and shader wise, I don't even now where to start :? :(

How about here ;)

http://3dshaders.com/home/index.php?option=com_weblinks&catid=14&Itemid=34

That elephant on the cover looks to have just about the right shine!

And this:

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/glsl/index.php?shaders

Under the Lighting Shaders section. 

I have been meaning to get to work on shaders at some point, but that point has just never arrived -- so I can't be much practical help.  However, from my preliminary research I know that there are plenty of resources on the web (including full vert/frag examples) that may get you on your way.  I'll take a look around over the next couple of days and see if I can dig up anything else that may be of use.

Question (and I just stepped back into the jME realm and haven't really been keeping track lately): in what program are you rendering the models now?  Blender?  I was thinking at first that it was a jME view, but from what you wrote above it sounds like they are just test shots from somewhere else...

yeah blender :smiley: and thanks for the links I'll check them out

ok I found a toon shader here, if I understand the license correctly it free for non-commercial use, anyway I adjusted and tweaked away at it in render monkey see below for the results, I also managed to have use a texture for specular highlight, pretty much figured it out by looking how the color maps were configured, so yeah I still technically don’t know anything about glsl .

can a toon shader be adjusted to use normal maps, tried loading both jme’s normal map examples, (the old one and dhdd’s adjusted example of it), into render monkey to get feel for the process but they crash badly, can anybody explain how to set them up the error messages in the RM console wasn’t as helpful as when setting up the toon shader or maybe I just missed something. anyways here are the shots the first 3 are on a model 3000 tri x subD the last one is the effect on the original game model

one more with image based specular