Shameless plea for help

Hello!

Well, I've been absent from these boards for a little while now, mainly due to relocating overseas to sunny Brisbane (and yes, it's sunny even in the middle of winter here in Australia). However, now I'm here and finally I've got a working internet connection

Hello there!

I know how hard it is to get testers, so I tested it for you on my Ubuntu 32-bit system.

I got an InvocationTargetException:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.Error: Cannot create headless window: mode must be non-null
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initHeadlessDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:491)
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createHeadlessWindow(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:173)
   at com.wcg.game.configuration.SupportedFeatures.<init>(SupportedFeatures.java:88)
   at com.wcg.game.configuration.SupportedFeatures.<clinit>(SupportedFeatures.java:45)
   at com.wcg.poc.swordplay.Main.main(Main.java:56)
   ... 9 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: mode must be non-null
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.setDisplayMode(Display.java:243)
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initHeadlessDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:478)
   ... 13 more

This was using Sun Java 1.6u20.

windows 7 64bit works fine.

But for me the mouse look and attacking/blocking gestures interfere a bit.

I press the mouse button, attack, release button and then the mouse look comes into play, even though i just want to attack / block and not move the camera angle.

Tested on Ubuntu 32 10.4, got the same exception as Tumaini.

Java Web Start 1.6.0_20
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.wcg.game.configuration.PersistenceLayer load
INFO: Failed to load file - graphicsConfiguration.dat : graphicsConfiguration.dat (Nessun file o directory)
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>
INFO: LWJGL Display System created.
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem updateDisplayBGC
AVVERTENZA: Unable to apply gamma/brightness/contrast settings: Display not yet created.
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.wcg.game.configuration.PersistenceLayer save
AVVERTENZA: Failed to save the file - graphicsConfiguration.dat : graphicsConfiguration.dat (Permesso negato)
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.wcg.game.configuration.PersistenceLayer load
INFO: Failed to load file - supportedFeatures.dat : supportedFeatures.dat (Nessun file o directory)
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem initHeadlessDisplay
GRAVE: Cannot create headless window
4-lug-2010 13.46.01 class com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem initHeadlessDisplay()
GRAVE: Exception
java.lang.NullPointerException: mode must be non-null
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initHeadlessDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:478)
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createHeadlessWindow(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:173)
   at com.wcg.game.configuration.SupportedFeatures.<init>(SupportedFeatures.java:88)
   at com.wcg.game.configuration.SupportedFeatures.<clinit>(SupportedFeatures.java:45)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1749)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1695)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1477)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:129)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
java.lang.Error: Cannot create headless window: mode must be non-null
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initHeadlessDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:491)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Launcher.java:1749)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Launcher.java:1695)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Launcher.java:1477)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:129)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: mode must be non-null
   ... 13 more
#### Java Web Start Error:
#### null

Thanks for the responses guys

@Tumaini yes, I'm not going to argue with you about finding testers.

…dammit! the cursed InvocationTargetException

That problem is caused when a headless window is created from the DisplaySystem. Look like I'll have to sort out a Ubuntu setup, although I recall encountering this problem with the Windows setup …can't recall what the solution was, tho (maybe LWJGL related …hmmm).

@pgi …dammit! the cursed InvocationTargetException

@Core-Dump glad to hear it ran alright on your setup.

Hmmm, yes, the mouse look & attack / block gestures.

Here's a quick breakdown of the flow

• The mouse look is disabled during the input for attack and block commands.

• While the attack or block in playing the character will rotate (y-axis rotation) to look down the camera direction

Ooooh, cool! I had a lot of fun playing Die By The Sword and Mount & Blade, I'm guessing you've played at least one of them?

I'm on holiday, interrailing right now, but if you remind me to check this out after the 14th I'll be sure to give it a try and give you some feedback on the game mechanics.

For the input, I suggest using a standart attack and a block key on the mouse, while the keyboard then is used for the combos,attacktypes (kinda like jedi akademy 3, this way the more you play the better you will get, however even in the beginning you can start without reading a manual… important here are logic attacks and blocks (attack + w attack from top smashing down, attack + a swift form the left, ect. more complex interaction can be made then by using more keys, or combos for the more advanced players.

didn't seem to work for me on anything other than the default settings

full screened - crashed

higher resolution - stopped loading

controls felt kinda strange too

the card is a Nvidia gf 295 with the latest drivers.

I couldn't get it to load on my 2010 MacBook Pro, but it did load on my desktop when booted into Win 7 64-Bit…

One thing I noticed is that I was able to make my enemy go out of the ring by moving him towards the barriers and through the gap in them… Though I did have fun making him think he could get to me, only to be blocked by the fence!

Haven't actually tried it yet…

but as a novice swordsman (~6 months off and on with a bokken), and just from the screenshots, I can say that if you're using a 1-handed sword you should have a shield. So either you should include a (preferably functioning) shield, or make the swords 2-handed, neither of which is easy.

Good luck!

Fuzzo said:

but as a novice swordsman (~6 months off and on with a bokken), and just from the screenshots, I can say that if you're using a 1-handed sword you should have a shield. So either you should include a (preferably functioning) shield, or make the swords 2-handed, neither of which is easy.

Or he could add some masks and make it a fencing game!

I'm all in favor of shields  :smiley: But there's nothing wrong with single sword and many fighting systems teach it.

Sorry for the lateness of reply, just started a new job (geeeze how my time seems to be vanishing)

@erlend_sh

erlend_sh wrote:
Die By The Sword and Mount & Blade, I'm guessing you've played at least one of them?
Yes, loved M&B even brought it during the long beta phase. Die by The Sword I recently tried out and in all honesty couldn't get to grips with the controls but I could see the appeal in it, if not making it over the learning curve myself.

@Empire Phoenix
Empire Phoenix wrote:
suggest using a standart attack and a block key on the mouse, while the keyboard then is used for the combos,attacktypes

Thanks for that idea, can't say I've played jedi akademy, so honestly didn't occur to me. I'm not entirely sure that's the direction we want to take, but I'll definitely keep it in mind!

@mcbeth
mcbeth wrote:
Dammit!

Could you provide details of your setup (OS version & Java version)

I've experienced the full screen crashing, but that was on an 6 year old XP box with low spec graphics card
monkey_scratches_head said:

@mcbeth
mcbeth wrote:
Dammit!

Could you provide details of your setup (OS version & Java version)

I've experienced the full screen crashing, but that was on an 6 year old XP box with low spec graphics card
mcbeth wrote:
the nv gf 295 is anything but low spec its a dual gpu card

Ha, ha, yes, I'd suspected you'd have a modern spec with a 295 ...which of course means that this is going to be a likely problem for others as well :(

Tbh, I think that generally me using some proper logging would be sensible, then I'd stand a better chance of figuring the cause, so I'll add that in with the other changes I've listed to make with the PoC.

Again the loading problem on large screens is odd, as I've had it running on 1920x1200 and a few resolutions between that and the default with a much lower hardware spec then yours, but I'm hoping logging would help to point to the problems there as well.

Unfortunately logging is not going to solve the problem, but it should provide the info I need, plus in theory later on, less technically orientated users can just drop me their log file
sbook said:

I couldn't get it to load on my 2010 MacBook Pro, but it did load on my desktop when booted into Win 7 64-Bit..

One thing I noticed is that I was able to make my enemy go out of the ring by moving him towards the barriers and through the gap in them.. Though I did have fun making him think he could get to me, only to be blocked by the fence!

@sbook

Thanks for your feedback. How did you manage to get the enemy player to go thru the gaps???

I tried to do the same, by getting him to move to the barriers and thru the gaps but no luck. Were you able to get them thru each gap or a particular one?

Thanks again
Riz

It ran for me on my windows 7, 32 bit Asus Netbook. Nvidia ION gpu.

Average about 25 fps with 32 bpp and detail settings at medium no shadows. 800x600 window.

Average about 5 fps with 32 bpp and detail settings at high. With shadows on the entire scene seemed dark, but the characters were still visible. also at 800x600 window.

The combat seemed to work, but not use to the style.

On second thought about the dim lighted scene with shadows enabled. Maybe the directional light is above the skybox / skydome object. Just a thought.

rizwanjavaid said:
@sbook
Thanks for your feedback. How did you manage to get the enemy player to go thru the gaps???

I tried to do the same, by getting him to move to the barriers and thru the gaps but no luck. Were you able to get them thru each gap or a particular one?

Thanks again
Riz

I hadn't tried it on multiple gaps, just the one... don't know if that was a special case :)