Ship Designer - Lots of pictures... and a DOWNLOAD LINK?

Hello all! Some of you may remember when I posted a video of the ship designer for my game about a month or two ago. Since then I’ve been focusing more on the main gameplay aspects, but I recently came back, touched up, and finished the ship designer. Here it is, in all its glory:

If those last few pictures didn’t show it clearly, you can also save, load, and share your ships with anyone else that has the designer. Your ships are saved to C:\Users\MyUser.jme3\Vinex\Ships.
As far as I know, the save/load system is compatible with Mac, but I’m not certain. If it’s not (anyone with Mac please test if you can), I’ll do my best to fix compatibility issues. :slight_smile:

Using the amazing @t0neg0d GUI also, which is about 1000 times easier to use than Nifty and much better performance-wise as well.

And without further adieu, the download link: Ship Designer v1.0.rar - Google Drive

6 Likes

I remember the video of this… it was insanely impressive!

Can’t wait to play around with it!!

1 Like

Ok… it’s WAY cooler playing with it than watching the video!

And BIG thanks for adding the READ ME file with the controls… very helpful :wink:

2 Likes

@t0neg0d I forgot to post them on here…glad you caught that! And I’m glad you enjoyed it, too! The only thing I have to finish is adding ship mechanics. Each Hull you choose has 2 base abilities (for most it’ll just be faster-than-light capabilities + overcharged shields or something) and a CPG (central power grid) rating. The larger the hull, the more power you can sustain. Each engine, turret, sensor, bridge, etc. takes up a certain amount of power, preventing players from taking the biggest hull and coating it in turrets and cannons. If you need a probe, you’ll want to aim small to avoid detection, giving you little power to work with. This results in sacrificed firepower for improved sensors and cloaking, and so on.

2 Likes

looks pretty good!

1 Like

I had a play with it… it’s really nice. Actually very similar to something I am doing in one of my projects - you’re using the same ship construction pack from blendswap I think? :slight_smile:

Only suggestion I would make is, why not add a picture of each part next to the buttons (could make the buttons a bit smaller)?

1 Like
@monkeychops said: Only suggestion I would make is, why not add a picture of each part next to the buttons (could make the buttons a bit smaller)?

I guess because its quite some work to either make a system that makes photos of the single parts or even make the photos manually? :slight_smile:

GJ on the editor!

1 Like
@normen said: I guess because its quite some work to either make a system that makes photos of the single parts or even make the photos manually? :)

GJ on the editor!

Actually… just using the OSRViewPort from the library would allow for a quick interactive preview of the mesh associated with each.

@vinexgames If you would like to add something like this, let me know and I can throw together a quick example for you. It’s one of the tests I need to add to the new test app anyways.

EDIT: Ya know what would be ultra nice is…

A drop down that lets you select a parts category that repopulates a scrollable list of parts (all added to a RadioButtonGroup so you can see which you have selected.

Once selected the mesh being rendered in the OSRViewPort (perhaps at the top of the panel) changes to the selected part with a confirm button or some such thing.

1 Like
@monkeychops said: Only suggestion I would make is, why not add a picture of each part next to the buttons (could make the buttons a bit smaller)?

Just as @normen said, it’s a lot of work to do. Each part varies massively in size, so I’d have to fine-tune it to get a good view for each part. It was originally in the plans, but after my first attempt which failed miserably, I decided against it.

@t0neg0d said: Actually... just using the OSRViewPort from the library would allow for a quick interactive preview of the mesh associated with each.

…Until just now. I’d love to give it a shot! And while I’m getting that in, I’ll start calculating weights and materials for each part, as well as getting in the mechanics of it. Hopefully the next update will have more meat to it!

@vinexgames said: Just as @normen said, it's a lot of work to do. Each part varies massively in size, so I'd have to fine-tune it to get a good view for each part. It was originally in the plans, but after my first attempt which failed miserably, I decided against it.

…Until just now. I’d love to give it a shot! And while I’m getting that in, I’ll start calculating weights and materials for each part, as well as getting in the mechanics of it. Hopefully the next update will have more meat to it!

I’d be more than happy to help throw together the control for you… or answer questions… just let me know!

@t0neg0d Alright, I’ll see how much of it I can decipher myself and if I need assistance I’ll definitely let you know! Thanks!

@vinexgames said: @t0neg0d Alright, I'll see how much of it I can decipher myself and if I need assistance I'll definitely let you know! Thanks!

Thought I would throw together a mock-up of how it might work… here is what I was picturing (maybe it will be helpful /shrug)…

[video]http://youtu.be/NmkKAAHDSqk[/video]

1 Like

@t0neg0d I really like that! The only reason the part selector isn’t already using scroll areas and dropdowns is because they were a bit buggy when I started this project. I’ve figured them out now, and implemented them into the load menu, so I’m gonna start redoing the part menu in that fashion. I might make the part preview a little bigger though, as some of the parts are pretty big and users might want to see it up close. I like how you showed the weight next to the part, that’s more-or-less exactly as I’d planned to do it. It’ll show how much metal, plasmid, and conduits the part will take to build, as well as how much of the CPG it takes up.

1 Like
@vinexgames said: @t0neg0d I really like that! The only reason the part selector isn't already using scroll areas and dropdowns is because they were a bit buggy when I started this project. I've figured them out now, and implemented them into the load menu, so I'm gonna start redoing the part menu in that fashion. I might make the part preview a little bigger though, as some of the parts are pretty big and users might want to see it up close. I like how you showed the weight next to the part, that's more-or-less exactly as I'd planned to do it. It'll show how much metal, plasmid, and conduits the part will take to build, as well as how much of the CPG it takes up.

I should have mentioned this before… try using ScrollPanel instead. ScrollArea was made for internal use and it is suuuuuper finicky.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how this turns out when it’s finished… looks awesome so far :-o

1 Like

Small update: I am progressing with this, it’s just taking a while. There are over 100 ship parts in the designer, and I have to decide on weight, cost, and abilities for every single one. I’ve pretty much finished the new part selector, but I won’t push an update until I finish the rest of the parts and their details.

@monkeychops Thanks! This is just one aspect of a much larger (and considerably more ambitious) project I’m working on, but I’m glad you like it!

@vinexgames said: Small update: I am progressing with this, it's just taking a while. There are over 100 ship parts in the designer, and I have to decide on weight, cost, and abilities for every single one. I've pretty much finished the new part selector, but I won't push an update until I finish the rest of the parts and their details.

@monkeychops Thanks! This is just one aspect of a much larger (and considerably more ambitious) project I’m working on, but I’m glad you like it!

Looking forward to trying out the update. This is neat to play with… and I can picture how cool it would be as part of a game.