Ships with Cannons (alpha)

One of the most interesting projects on JME3! Be cool!

Hi guys,

I freaked out a little bit last night when I recognized that I’ve finished the ship textures (strange story with ape-gestures and… but whatever…).

So this is the final flagship texture:

And a little quality-shot. Just for the show.

edit:The sky is from “http://basictextures.com/free-textures/sky-clouds-sunset-00272.html

2 Likes

Nice screeshots, great work!

What the modeling software did you use to create those ships? Did you split some edges to keep a clean smooth shading? Did you use spec map? Did you baked ao?

“What the modeling software did you use to create those ships?”

3ds max.

" Did you split some edges to keep a clean smooth shading?"

No, All this is done by the textures

" Did you use spec map?"

No, there’s only the color- and an alpha-map.

"Did you baked ao?

Do you mean ambient occlusion? The quality shots have this feature, but only because it’s simple done in 3ds, The texture itself has just some painted shadows.

Hmm! The diffuse map realy looks realistic, but could be a bit more realistic with normal map and specullar map I think. But that diffuse map looks already have a pseudo specularity. Anyways great job! Did you use the box modeling technique to model the ship body, right?

Very nice work really!

Cool!!! I like what you have been dong. Now we wait for gameplay! :slight_smile:

I use another cool site with textures: http://texturemate.com/ - just if someone is interested. :slight_smile:

glaucomardano said:
Hmm! The diffuse map realy looks realistic, but could be a bit more realistic with normal map and specullar map I think. But that diffuse map looks already have a pseudo specularity. Anyways great job! Did you use the box modeling technique to model the ship body, right?

Some normal maps would be cool, but currently I just want to get finished with the assets.

I'm not a professional but yes, that should be something like the box-technique.^^ Normally I just start modelling without caring about techniques.

@mifth: Your wish will be fullfilled. ;)
Currently I'm working on the start-the-game-stuff. After that I'm going to grab some guys to create and implement order responses. For example:
- Selecting a ship: "At your command, admiral!"
- Attacking a ship: "Fire!"
This responses will be ship-specific. That means if you select the light brigg it will response with a fast and hasty "Yes, Sire!" while the slow and strong battleship will response with a deep "No need to hurry...".

Yeah and after that, we have a beta.

greetz
ceiphren
ceiphren said:
I'm not a professional but yes, that should be something like the box-technique.^^ Normally I just start modelling without caring about techniques.

Well if you started from a box, and extruded faces from it....that's the box technique :p
1 Like

COOL!!! If it will be sound like the StarCraft I would buy it!!! :slight_smile: MAN YOU ROCK!!! I think your game should be sold with the new JME book, which coredevs write. :stuck_out_tongue: just my mad thoughts.

mifth said:
COOL!!! If it will be sound like the StarCraft I would buy it!!! :) MAN YOU ROCK!!! I think your game should be sold with the new JME book, which coredevs write. :p just my mad thoughts.

I like your mad thoughts. I will think about that :)

In this kind of game, I 'd love to see somethings like the ship poles break and fall to the sea after hit by an enemy’s shoot… or some and “on-fire” pirate screaming and running in the deck (Yeah , it’s a mad thought too :stuck_out_tongue: )

Also I think that ships look too dark. Possibly you will need to set ambient light or make painted shadows less dark… just my thoughts. There should be no too dark places. Also, sails are too dark as i think.

Ref: http://oilrush-game.com/static/img/screenshots/oilrush_28.jpg

Just my thoughts, sorry. Possibly, you did not set lighting yet…

@atomix: Hehe. A feature with a “to board”-command would be cool. Than it would makes sense to create and animate a whole crew. Also if somebody is going to implement cloth-physics I will use that for the sails. Anno 1404 (or “Dawn of Discovery” in the international term) has a pretty nifty sail physics simulation. Something like that would be nice. Generally, I think Anno is a good reference. It’s a nice game with sweet graphics… Yes, this is covered advertising. XD

@mifth: Could be a problem of my monitor. I adjusted it to the darkest possible level but it’s still to bright. I will fix that with the lighting-configuration.

As I recently knew that JME3 is coming with native bullet implementation. So it’s not a far future when we can have cloth in JME3, I really want that feature too …

And it’s silly to ask if you need any help in making some 3d model (ship , pirate crew or sea monsters … :stuck_out_tongue: ) or texture work, I’m glad to help you out …

P/s: I’m modeling in 3dsmax too, and very curious about the export pipeline from this specific software to JME3

@atomix: Hey thank you :slight_smile: When I’m going to need more assets I will take you up on that*².

@caesar: thank you^^. When jme has the ability of cloth-simulation I will integrate sails and flags.

greetz

ceiphren

*² Is that correct? My english isn’t the best one. I tried to say something like this:

" to take so. up on an offer (german: auf jmds. Angebot zurückkommen) "

ceiphren said:
@atomix: Hey thank you :) When I'm going to need more assets I will take you up on that*².

*² Is that correct? My english isn't the best one. I tried to say something like this:
" to take so. up on an offer (german: auf jmds. Angebot zurückkommen) "

Haha ,I think I know what you mean man ;) I'm not a native English speaker too , but I think I got a sense of "abstract word" like I always make my English friends surprise ...

I 'd like to draw something like a sea monster if it exist in your game :p

I guys,

work’s not going on very well. I’ve stepped into two serious issues.

first one is sound-locations. I want to play sounds that have a source and the nearer the camera is the louder this sound will be. But I wasn’t able to activate that and the examples from jme are not very satisfying. I’ve read from norman that jme3 currently has only a simple sound-system so that seems to be a thing like we-are-in-alpha-version-and-thats-currently-not-implemented.

Second one is a serious problem. It’s discussed very often but there was no satisfying solution. I’m talking about smooth alpha blending.

The ships have much rigging that needs smooth blending. Otherwise it doesn’t look very good.

Also I implemented the WaterFilter from nehon (thanks for that filter. It looks very good.) but the the really serious problem of this one is: it’s a post-filter and it ignores all smooth blendings of every object. For example: I can’t see the firing-animation of my ships any more and the hexfield-tiles now have a lot of fractals.

I posted the problems here:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/graphics/forum/topic/transparency-glitch-seeing-through-objects/#post-128269

and here:

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/graphics/forum/topic/waterfilter-and-transparency/?_wpnonce=71f4fc57f8#post-128266

While the sound-problem is not so important the blending-issue is serious. The bugs are killing the scene-atmosphere and I currently don’t know how to solve that.

so long

ceiphren :frowning:

Regarding the sound… I dove into this deeply for Mythruna…

Positional sounds must be mono. If not, they won’t be positional. If you want the sounds to have fall-off when they get farther away then you need to tweak the reference distance and the max distance. Note that max distance used to have incorrect javadocs and I have updated it in the latest code. If you want sound to fall off to 0 then set reference distance to where the sound should be half volume and set max distance to some really really large amount. It’s not a clamp on the volume, it’s a clamp on attenuation.

Also, if you aren’t developing against a recently nightly build then reverb state leaks between sounds sometimes and there are some memory leaks for streamed sounds.

Edit: OH! I also fixed positional sounds recently, too… I just remembered that prior to my fix that the position was always considered relative to the listener… so as the listener moved around… the sounds didn’t. Assuming all of them were operating in world space.

@ceiphren FYI, i’m not ignoring your request about transparency and the water filter, I didn’t answer because I have no solution for the moment.

It’s a vast issue, and it’s affecting shadows and depth dependent post processing filters. It’s seems it’s a common issue for deferred rendering too, so that’s good news, because there is literature about it :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought of several workarounds that might work, but i’d like to find a global solution instead of a workaround here and a workaround there.

So…just to let you know that I’m on it, it could take a while, but i’ll eventually come up with a solution.

Very good work on your game so far, hang on and keep up the good work :wink: