Shockwave

Hello,

Just started to play around with jME.

I have a question. For the game i got in my idea it would be really coolt to have a neat explosion shockwave like the ones in Doom3, Fear…

Have a look at this video. Halfway in.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeTjDkb5lmE

Is that possible now? Or would it be hard to implement it?

Wow!, That is some cool effect  :-o. IMHO you would have to do some post processing in the rendered image to achieve this effect, but you probably want to hear what the devs or Shader experts have to say to see if this can achieved with it. (I dunno, but doubt it)

How about a simple geometric shape with a pixel-grabbed texture on top of it. Use sphere mapping, and voila! You could even morph the shape of the object, and/or filter the texture to add to the effect.

(I happen to use this method in my current project for a cloaked ship effect, it works pretty well and doesn't cost much processing power compared to shaders).

Oh, what the heck… here’s a simple screenshot of how I use it… it’s not hard to make it the shape of a disc or whatever you like:

Isn't BloomRenderPass an example of how to do full screen post processing already? I'd even think you could re-use the entire java code of it, and just write a new pixel shader to do what you want.

elias4444 said:

Oh, what the heck... here's a simple screenshot of how I use it... it's not hard to make it the shape of a disc or whatever you like:

Cant really see the effect in the image, im guessing its easier to see it in a video or live. But a cloaking effect would also be nice :D

hevee said:

Isn't BloomRenderPass an example of how to do full screen post processing already? I'd even think you could re-use the entire java code of it, and just write a new pixel shader to do what you want.

We'll i dont really know how to work with shaders and how to write them :D
Cant really see the effect in the image, im guessing its easier to see it in a video or live. But a cloaking effect would also be nice

True... it's much easier to see when it's animated. The idea is that you're "warping" an area of the picture... with whatever shape you choose.

Picture does still look sexy awesome though  :slight_smile:

Picture does still look sexy awesome though

Ah... thanks.  :D