Should we use jmonkey?

hi there.

im not entirely sure if this is the right forum to post in, but i just went ahead :wink:

this semester me and 2 other students are in a course to programm a game.

we have free choice of genre and development plattform.

right now we are looking for a gameengine to use for our game.

the game is going to be a 2.5 plattformer that will rely on physics for quite a bit of its gameplay.

the game needs to be done in about 4-6 months.

so i am asking:

should we use jmonkey3, or is it too buggy/unstable/not feature complete right now?

a kid with a real sword cant beat a swordman with a wooden sword.

it depends on your skill and how familiar you are with it

I’m not a developer of jme, but I can confirm that jme is a real sword, in future it might be a treasure sword (or may be already)

1 Like

i get your meaning, but having serious bugs affect the development is going to bite you in the ass later on, especially if you are on a tight schedule.

jme game development is great! packed with features and the tutorials here are incomparably clean and easy to follow (except the one i wrote :D). There’s no “serious bugs” that i know of, just make sure to download the nightly version. Normally if there are any bugs found, they are fixed faster than i can wipe my ass with toilet paper.

@wezrule

which one did you write ?

also nightly version is dead for almost 2 months now

I wonder when beta will come out so that I can download nightly again :smiley:

but even with the old nightly (29/08) it still works like charm.

There are actually 2 bugs in my mind now, and I dont know if they are fixed, but I dont really care about them anymore, so they are not serious for me :))

i wrote half the loading screen one yesterday. And if in jmp, you go to tools > plugins > settings > update to nightly, you can get the latest one.

@xieu90 Nightly, you get the latest on every 24 hour cycle.

jmp is actually one of 2 huge bugs I mentioned before :smiley:

I dont use jmp and I dont like svn so I just use nightly from http://jmonkeyengine.com/nightly/

you wrote half of this, right ? https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:loading_screen

there is sure a lot of code, my eyes hurt already

I will read and test it seriously in xmas or in holiday when I have time ^^

xieu90 said:
also nightly version is dead for almost 2 months now

That is only true for the nightly zip distribution and not for the nightly SDK updates which include the nightly engine build, it has to do with the delay in the beta as you say. You can easily build the current version yourself. Commits to the project are happening almost daily since jme3 is there, in the last few weeks and days many issues have been fixed.
Just for your peace and sake I now copied the zip distro files manually:
http://jmonkeyengine.com/nightly/

@ xieu90 it may be “long”, but i’d rather give people a realistic example for the sake of an extra 20 lines of code

@normen

wow, thank you very much.

yeah, next time I will make myself clearer with nightly zip distribution.

sry for laziness in typing → confusion ^^

@pfannenwender

you can use those nightly normen posted. Even with the old one(29/8) I dont find any serious bug, so with these new nightly you will be even happier (if you stay with jme)

@wezrule

I prefer short and clear, but long and clear is also good, better than nothing or long/too short and unclear, I just read your code second time :D, and also not really serious yet and saw you also have multithreading in it (2 in 1)

So I’m sure your tutorial will come in my black list. This xmas I will have a prey to hunt :smiley:

:), well the tutorial is still new, like i said its my first and i started it yesterday, still a lot to improve to make it easier on the eye and to explain it a bit more. And normen wrote the multi-threading part.

wezrule said:
Normally if there are any bugs found, they are fixed faster than i can wipe my ass with toilet paper.

The time you takes to shit is already enough to fix a couple of bugs xD.
pfannenwender said:
the game needs to be done in about 4-6 months.
so i am asking:
should we use jmonkey3, or is it too buggy/unstable/not feature complete right now?

If you are proficient with java then JME3 is the way to go! i was able to get a basic game implementation up in about 3 weeks with just myself and 1 other developer just by following the tutorials. Also JME3 has one of the best opensource communities out there :)

If you need to get something up and running fast with little coding Unity 3d is pretty good, some of my metaverse school mates are working on a game using that platform and it is working out well for them :)

thanks for all the info.

will start digging through the tutorials now :wink: