Sim-ethereal streaming content to clients

I wanted to know if any of you have given any thought of streaming content to clients. Contents such as audio and visual content. Lets say the server can be set up by anyone (like Counter-Strike), but the maps, sounds, decals, can be modified and saved in the ‘map’-file, so when the client connects, it downloads it and is now ready to experience the new audio and visual graphics (not part of the default game experience)…

Cheers.

This is not really sim-ethereal related. It could be SpiderMonkey related though honestly I’d argue for just using a regular web server for such content.

Sim-ethereal’s job is firmly in the ‘real time object syncing’ department and has nothing to do with bulk data, really.

SpiderMonkey can do it but you have to handle your own packet splitting. No one has come up with a nice streaming API for the latest version… and really a web server will do it so much better for general stuff like images, maps, etc…

Furthermore, a web server means you can use regular URLs and then the AssetManager just works right out of the box. There are embeddable web servers but given the other requirements that often come up with setting up a server, perhaps they already have a web server available.

Personally, I wouldn’t download this at game time but let the user download the module separately (perhaps through the game menus but not while actually playing the game). Like with TF2 and similar games where the mods get downloaded before the game actually starts. Then you could even use something like getdown to get just the latest stuff.

1 Like

Thanks. Gives me something to research.

New question: Is the JME3 execution somehow sandboxed? Lets say I get the user to download the game. When they do this, they trust that this game doesn’t mess with their computer. But if my server is to be set up by ‘anyone’, does the same have to be the case or is the game sandboxed enough to not allow any malicious execution inside the game? Maybe I’m asking the wrong question - but I am just curious how secure JME is in this regard :slight_smile:

JME is running in the regular Java VM… no sandboxing is happening at all. That’s up to you when you setup your app.

Sandboxing is an imperfect safety net, anyway. Even Oracle can’t seem to keep it secure in the browser which is why the world has the browser plugin disabled these days.

Probably easiest just to popup a big giant warning telling folks that running mods from third parties that they don’t trust is unwise.

Got it. Thanks.