Simple shadows for android

Hi all,
I am looking for a solution which will allow me to have shadows on certain parts of my scene.
Is there a interim easy solution to have shadows in android?

Are they static? if so baking them into the texture would be the most efficient (a lightmap)

Well no they are not. Some of them are but the player is constantly moving, so I would really like a soft shadow below the player on the scene.
It is going to be difficult.
Don’t know if there is something else.

What i did for android is to just have a quad bellow moving objects with a soft circular shadow texture with alpha transparency. Mine only works on flat ground though, but that can do the trick.
Many old games did shadows like that (WoW had this kind of shadows at first).
Ofc then you can have baked shadows for static objects.
Also what i did is that alpha of the shadow texture is computed considering the distance of the object from the ground and the volume of the modelBound of the object.
That’s quite ok.
Also it performs pretty well on android as far as you have few dynamic object’s.

I was thinking of this as a solution, but what if you are near an edge, then it will look as if the texture appear to float half way in the air.
I was hopping that android will get some solution for shadows soon.

@ndebruyn said: I was thinking of this as a solution, but what if you are near an edge, then it will look as if the texture appear to float half way in the air. .
yes
@ndebruyn said: I was hopping that android will get some solution for shadows soon.
Well you're free to hop aboard :p Also be aware that the desktop solution cannot be used as is on android, you'll have to cheat anyway and bake a lot of things

Man I would like to help but are currently stormed with real work at my office and I have a new baby on the way.
I am also working on this android game I want to get out there on the play store.
Maybe later this year.