Simulating Darkness

How would you recommend I simulate darkness, like a creepy outdoor darkness? I tried changing the directional light’s properties to make it a greyer shade and cut the alpha but the terrain still is just as illuminated. I want the viewing plane to basically obfuscate at a certain distance, but i want terrain to still be visible in shape but not color, nighttime where zombies can flourish! If you have any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. Between you, levia, normen, and zathras(sp) you fellas address so many of my novice java questions that it really just keeps me programming.

I’ve also tried setting the directional light to black, alpha 0 or 1, and adding a pointlight near my models start point. The model is affected by the light but the entire terrain is not receiving any light changes. I used the hello terrain example for the current terrain I’m using plus a heightcollisionmap so that I can walk around. So it seems I’m not grasping what allows light to affect different spatials.

sarophym said:
I've also tried setting the directional light to black, alpha 0 or 1, and adding a pointlight near my models start point. The model is affected by the light but the entire terrain is not receiving any light changes. I used the hello terrain example for the current terrain I'm using plus a heightcollisionmap so that I can walk around. So it seems I'm not grasping what allows light to affect different spatials.

erm, that's what i would have done, though i would have made the light color grey...
I think the terrain material uses only one source of light, maybe @Sploreg can confirm. That would explain why the spot light does not affect the terrain.

Enhancement to the terrain material are planned, so i guess you'll have to wait till then, sorry.

The terrain is unlit, it is not effected by lighting.

@Momoko_Fan so is there anyway to make terrain “dark”? I’m not too familiar with post processors or complex lighting effects, I’m just trying to accomplish a dark world effects where postlights will stay out greatly and you vision is be restricted and “survival horror”-like.