Skeletal animation system and equipment change

im having trouble understanding how can equipment change be done with skeletal animation system. i searched on the forum but not much helpful answers found.

lets say i have a character, i loaded the body model with its tree of bones. now i wanna add a skirt armor piece onto the skin.

i tried adding a box to the bone and it moves fine, but since the skirt has soft materials and needs vertex blending, will simplely adding the skirt to the bone still work?

another way i thought was export each piece of armor with its own bones. so each armor is a SkinNode object in jme. and i just put all the SkinNode together into a SkinNode tree. will this work? and is this the right approach?

please help~

Make a skirt and assign it's vertices to your character's skeleton so that it looks good with every possible animation. Then export only the skirt, without the skeleton, and assign it to your character's skeleton in game. Whichever skeletal animation system you are using should support that.

hevee said:

assign it's vertices to your character's skeleton

Would you mind explaining how to do this.
theprism said:

hevee said:

assign it's vertices to your character's skeleton

Would you mind explaining how to do this.

It's done in the modeling application. If you managed to skin your player model, you have already done this. If not, you have not yet arrived at this step :)
For example, in blender, I'd just make a copy of the mesh of my toon, then delete all vertices except for the area I need for the skirt. Then I'd delete some vertices, reconnect others to form new faces, but never move them a lot except "fattening" them a bit along the face normals so there's no z-fighting with the legs underneath. That way I keep the vertex-bone relationships by copying the mesh, and the skirt vertices should almost always perfectly fit the toon's body and legs.

But I am no modeling artist and cooked that up myself, I guess a professional artist would have some more advanced techniques for the same thing.

in our case i mean in jme's case, this would mean load in a mesh, create a SkinNode. assign the mesh as the skin and the old skeleton as the bone.

am i correct?

if so, does this mean my second approach is correct? attach a bunch of skinNodes together to form a character with armor and weapons.

if u have taken a serious look at the md5 loader in sourceforge you'd realise that that's the way the head is attached to the marine

mcbeth said:

if u have taken a serious look at the md5 loader in sourceforge you'd realise that that's the way the head is attached to the marine

yeah i checked that out last night and indeed thats how it is done in that system. however im just wondering if it would be different for jme's skeletal animation system.

so if anyone can confirm this, please~
something like this

SkinNode body = loadSkinNode();
Bone skeleton = body.getSkeleton();
TriMesh armor = loadMesh();
SkinNode armorNode = new SkinNode("armor");
armorNode.setSkin(armor);
armorNode.setSkeleton(skeleton.getChildNamed("armor"));
body.attchChild(armorNode);