Sky created with SkyFactory does not react to light level

I lowered the intensity of the light in my scene and noticed the sky created with SkyFactory did not react to that. How do you get the sky to be affected by light? Is there some way to change it, or are you supposed to use an image that simply looks darker?

How exactly would that work? You have an image of the noon day sun and lower the lighting to dark and you now have a darker image of the noon day sun?

Sky images are static… the lighting must be matched to them and cannot change. You can’t do it the other way around or it will look strange.

pspeed:

Nothing says you will necessarily see the sun in a sky or that there will be much in the scene that even tells you what position the sun is in. It could just be a scene where you change it from full sun, to twilight by changing the intensity of the illumination.

I can’t tell from your response whether you are saying that darkening the sky is impossible or just not a good idea. Which is it?

@Zachary-Hilbun said: pspeed:

Nothing says you will necessarily see the sun in a sky or that there will be much in the scene that even tells you what position the sun is in. It could just be a scene where you change it from full sun, to twilight by changing the intensity of the illumination.

I can’t tell from your response whether you are saying that darkening the sky is impossible or just not a good idea. Which is it?

It’s not impossible… but it’s not obvious, either (you can simply grab the material which I believe is Unshaded and set the color on it)… but probably not a good idea in any case. The sun was just an example. All static sky images will have a time of day built into them implicitly and will start to look a bit strange. Maybe I’m just sensitive to it because I notice so many older TV shows where night time is really day time with a day-for-night filter on the camera.

The best way to have a sky that changes with time of day is to use one of the sky rendering solutions. Either the SkyControl plug-in or if you want true atmospheric scattering there is a SkyState in my Sim-FX package.

pspeed

I should have mentioned in my original post that I had already tried changing the Material. If you try using the existing Material, it will generate an exception when you try to set a color. If you try to create a new Material, then setting that will destroy the existing sky.

@Zachary-Hilbun said: pspeed

I should have mentioned in my original post that I had already tried changing the Material. If you try using the existing Material, it will generate an exception when you try to set a color. If you try to create a new Material, then setting that will destroy the existing sky.

I can’t respond at all to code I can’t see an exceptions I can’t see… so it’s impossible for me to help more.