Skybox in jME3

Hey guys!

I programmed a while ago a skybox on jME2 but my pc got a virus and all my files were deleted and I stopped jME programming.

I searched and I didn’t found any example (or I don’t know how to use the search tool in the new forum) Now, I really want your guys help to make my skybox. I got six 512 x 512 “.png” image files and I want to use them on a skybox. Could you guys give me a link a code example or something like that?

Thanks in advance, borba.

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forums/?fs=skybox

Thanks for your reply, normen!

It only shows in “.dds” format. The methods to convert to “.dds” are too complicated. Is there an easy way to make a skybox based on 6 images?

Thanks in advance, borba.

.dds format is supported by jME3 :slight_smile:

loook at this tutorial on cgtexture.com to create dds cube maps

http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=tutorial&name=cubemaps

Ati CubemapGen → Google

I recommend using the dds plugin for gimp… easy to use and very efficient…

@normen , I am experiencing a problem with the skyboxes. Essentially I made a collision shape for the terrain and added it to the bullet app state, but the problem is that a skybox adds a sphere mesh at 0,0,0 but it is only about 15 world units in diameter and it blocks any rigid body control. How can i prevent the skybox from doing this?

<cite>@jrlowe said:</cite> @normen , I am experiencing a problem with the skyboxes. Essentially I made a collision shape for the terrain and added it to the bullet app state, but the problem is that a skybox adds a sphere mesh at 0,0,0 but it is only about 15 world units in diameter and it blocks any rigid body control. How can i prevent the skybox from doing this?

You are probably adding the skybox to the terrain, don’t do that :slight_smile:
Add the sky box to another scene graph node higher in the graph, for example the root node.

shouldnt skybox be attached to camera?

<cite>@eraslt said:</cite> shouldnt skybox be attached to camera?
It should not be mandatory even though it is a good idea when you want to use the same skybox wherever you go.

Actually, the skybox doesn’t need to be attached to the camera because it’s always rendered with a depth forced to 1.
Meaning that the skybox is always rendered on the far plane of the camera even if it’s not in the camera point of view.