Small glitches since update tonegodgui a month ago (min size win + button text)

Helloooo,

I’ve been encountering some small glitches since I updated tonegodGUI about a month ago:

• windows now seem to enforce a minimum width of dunno, about 200? Think I need about 150 min.

• window titles seem to disappear when the window looses focus. Regaining focus doesn’t give back their title, only resizing/moving them does. Could take a year to be fixed for all I care :D.

• buttons texts appear or disappear following strange rules when I use custom fonts (tried multiple ones); I haven’t managed to reproduce this in a test case. Saw a post about a new TextElement… is there a new way of doing buttons now?

• while investigating last point, I found a small very unsignificant glitch: when:

• 2 or more windows
  • windows use the same custom font for titles and buttons (same between windows too)
    => the window who hasn’t focus will see it’s button texts disappear (the ones not covered by the other window).
    I have a test case for that if it helps… didn’t post it because it is quite specific and probably not problematic.

Sorry for the troubles.
Since my choice of custom fonts was soo bad, using the default font is fine… since it looks better :D. The minimum window size is a lil more pressing since it makes my menu (a window with vertical buttons) look lame and I’m preparing for finally releasing a small vid of the current state of my small game (I know, already said that twice… but this time it’s for real lol).

NB: I don’t use the relative positioning, nor the scaling, nor the styling yet. Under windows 7 64 - ati card 5670. Last non-nightly jme. Last version of tonegodGUI.

Thanks for your help until now.
If you have more important matters at hand than that minimum size window, then I’ll make my lil vid with that glitch still there… not like it would be desecrating a holy product anyway :D.

@loopies said: Helloooo,

I’ve been encountering some small glitches since I updated tonegodGUI about a month ago:

• windows now seem to enforce a minimum width of dunno, about 200? Think I need about 150 min.

• window titles seem to disappear when the window looses focus. Regaining focus doesn’t give back their title, only resizing/moving them does. Could take a year to be fixed for all I care :D.

• buttons texts appear or disappear following strange rules when I use custom fonts (tried multiple ones); I haven’t managed to reproduce this in a test case. Saw a post about a new TextElement… is there a new way of doing buttons now?

• while investigating last point, I found a small very unsignificant glitch: when:

• 2 or more windows
  • windows use the same custom font for titles and buttons (same between windows too)
    => the window who hasn’t focus will see it’s button texts disappear (the ones not covered by the other window).
    I have a test case for that if it helps… didn’t post it because it is quite specific and probably not problematic.

Sorry for the troubles.
Since my choice of custom fonts was soo bad, using the default font is fine… since it looks better :D. The minimum window size is a lil more pressing since it makes my menu (a window with vertical buttons) look lame and I’m preparing for finally releasing a small vid of the current state of my small game (I know, already said that twice… but this time it’s for real lol).

NB: I don’t use the relative positioning, nor the scaling, nor the styling yet. Under windows 7 64 - ati card 5670. Last non-nightly jme. Last version of tonegodGUI.

Thanks for your help until now.
If you have more important matters at hand than that minimum size window, then I’ll make my lil vid with that glitch still there… not like it would be desecrating a holy product anyway :D.

Sorry for the delay on responding to this and everything else. My network card went south on my primary machine and I’m waiting for a replacement. It works every once in a while, but was getting worse and worse by the day.

I’ll set the default min dimensions to something ridiculously low (like the resize border size) and just let the user decide if they want to enforce it.

It may take a bit before I get this pushed out due to my wireless network card issues… but as soon as that is resolved, this will be updated.

As for the font issue… it is “almost” at the top of the todo list now. I need to overhaul how this is being handled and just ditch the idea of supporting multiple pages, as BitmapText doesn’t actually support it anyways (I didn’t realize this when I first start this project and it kinda got out of control trying to deal with this).

Soooo… long story short… bare with me for a few while I get my hardware issue resolved, then I’ll push out an update for window’s default size and a fix for fonts in general soon after.l

1 Like

Take all the time in the world :). Thanks a lot!

Ok… window minimum size is defined in a xml style file (Window.gui.xml * 2)… I feel dumb now :D. Changed it to 60 and works fine now :D. Didn’t see any unwanted side-effects of that change.

Sorry, have very limited time as of late… and will for a while longer unfortunately. Glad you resolved this issue, however, was wondering where the others stand?

Windows titles tend to disappear (not a huge problem… if needed, I could probably simply have no titles there and see if adding a label would work).

Button texts disappear unpredictably… don’t think it happens with non-custom fonts but might be wrong.

Non of those are blocking problems for me. The gui allows me to do my stuff and that is what matters to me for now. Later on, I might see if I can find what causes that but I’m pushing that for later on because I have no clue how all that work :D. Imma code coward :D.

Anyway, hope all is well :).

One question I’m wondering, and maybe the devs could answer it: is 3.1 expected to stop ToneGodGUI from working? Not complaining… just trying to see ahead.

Likely 3.1 will. Annnnd… never seen the disappearing BitmapText thingy before.

Does this happen in all projects?
Are you using the current plugin?

1 Like

I’m using the current plugin.

By unpredictably, I meant I haven’t managed to narrow down what makes buttons not display their text anymore yet.

Basically:

• launch game
  • buttons display correctly
  • launch a race
  • open editor
  • buttons display correctly
  • end race and return to welcome ui
  • buttons don’t display their text anymore

But… sometimes it still displays them correctly. And can happen in different scenarios.

Anyway, I’ve downloaded the source so I’ll be able to better investigate it later on (when I’m done with more pressing matters). Until now, what triggers the problems is a mystery to me… seems linked to the usage of tables, maybe tables inside a control tab… dunno… have founds lots of wrong culprits in the past so really not sure of my current suspicions.

I tried in the past to make a test-case to show the problem but it didn’t occur then. Seems to require something specific to happen… that I haven’t found yet.

Anyway, not a pressing matter to me so I’ll check it up later on.

Hello, I think I have found the reason why the button does not display their text.
The problem is the lights ! (it was that for me).
To correct it, juste add an AmbiantLight to the guiNode and set his color to ColorRGBA.White.multLocal(5f).
The different scenario that you have may be cause of DirectionalLight that put a light on the GUI if you are on the right angle :slight_smile: (I suppose, I am not sure).
It worked for me :slight_smile:
I have also corrected some bug with setButtonIcon, we should work on a fork of TonegodGUI I think.

1 Like

Hey, thank you for your proposal of a solution.
Sadly, it doesn’t seem to work for me (tried it).

I would ask tonegod first if she’s fine with a fork of the project until she got some free time.

You should publish your changes to that setButtonIcon… I may turn to icons when I start working on prettiness :D.

Fork is the purpose of opensource, I think she will be happy to see that is projecting is still going on without her :slight_smile:

If I had made a complex library that people use, I would appreciate people asking about my opinion before forking.
We also don’t know what’s her plans. So I believe it’s better to ask.

Just my opinion… in all it’s glory :D.

@t0neg0d @guys:
Sorry, I don’t want to be an a$$ to fork without asking but since me and my team really need to use the GUI library and improve it… I did.

NOTE: This is total a clone of the googlecode svn head (without the old revision).
I want to integrate my editor and improve it for general purpose. In the future, I will make branch to make it toward my Atom framework architecture.

That’s my excuse for the lack of patient, if the author find it offense, i will remove the repo as I should. Thanks for understanding.

O.o I’d be interested to see what you do with the lib.

Will it require your framework to work or would it be an independent library?
Are you planning to make it compatible with next jme release?

(I should make another thread)

For now, it will only include some fixes for small issues. So if you have patches for them, may be you interested in making pull requests.

ToneGod is a “real deal” of GUI library, and suite for wide range of applications. Just like Nifty, I want to make ToneGod more convenient for user (with editor or such…) I’m also using Unity daily, so I take a closer look in Unity UI libraries to compare with what we have in JME3:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2413 . WYSIWYG editor
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20970 . PSD to UI

That’s what I need and what I can contribute in the future. Still, I’ve been always waiting for something like an asset store for jme3 components. Because market and exchange (not money) give more motivation for us to write better code (even for free)…

About git: In my POV, Git is much more ideal system for an open source model compare to SVN, and how OSS should work. Because sometime, when we are really tired of looking at codes, some one willing to jump in and continue with full energy… That’s the only reason I take a chance to continue developing ToneGod GUI with git.

Currently, there is nothing new in the repo. But if you familiar with git, you guys can make your pull requests and benefits for all (including lazy ass me :slight_smile:

P/s: I want to mega-thank @t0neg0d for what she give us if I did not do in the past. If you read this. Happy new year and best wishes… Cheers,

@atomix
In case it is of interest to you and your repository: I followed Screen triggers Keyboard which is null on android to make the lib work on android and it works fine… though it is a little hacky.