Soft object

I was looking at the cloth stuff i.e springs and such and was wondering if it could be use for creating soft objects out of loaded geometry. this something I really want to try, and would appreciate some advice on this, as well as an idea of how resource expensive this could be.

thanks in advance

Soft objects like a matress or a sofa right?

Well, use what the cloth uses, but instead, create a 3d object. The article in which the cloth comes from does go on to show how soft objects can be implemented.

http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030121/jacobson_01.shtml

At the moment, i am writing a physics engine based on the above article. If you want to join me, your more than welcome. Its still unusable and very unstable…but im sure that can be worked on.

DP

"DarkProphet" wrote:
Soft objects like a matress or a sofa right?

well yes that too, but I was think more along the lines of deformable skin for collision reactions
"DarkProphet" wrote:
Well, use what the cloth uses, but instead, create a 3d object. The article in which the cloth comes from does go on to show how soft objects can be implemented.

http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030121/jacobson_01.shtml

thats where I need the guidence (not code) just a basic "what you need to do, sort of stuff to set it up, I'll at the article might show me the light.
"DarkProphet" wrote:
At the moment, i am writing a physics engine based on the above article. If you want to join me, your more than welcome. Its still unusable and very unstable...but im sure that can be worked on.

DP

well as you might guess from that statement and others that I'm a n00b hobbyist and as such my programming skills are nowhere near what you would consider as useful, sorry

by deformable skin…what do you exactly mean? As in like a character’s skin, when a ball hits it, it goes inwards a bit? If thats what your thinking, thats not going to be noticable in a game and for the effort your going to go through just to get that…its really not worth it.

Good luck.

DP

"DarkProphet" wrote:
by deformable skin...what do you exactly mean? As in like a character's skin, when a ball hits it, it goes inwards a bit? If thats what your thinking, thats not going to be noticable in a game and for the effort your going to go through just to get that...its really not worth it.

Good luck.

DP

It's not a game actually, just animation sim and I'm using several camera angles, close ups and what at any rate It just thoughts

why not just use max you might think, well I'm trying do something that is different in the middle but ends the same with every run.

the way I look at it, if I'm successful I would have learned something,
if not success I would have still learned something, in the time I've been here I've learned a tremendous amount from you guys, If I can take only that, well....... nothing lost as far as I'm concerned

I’ve done a bit of work here.

(and I disagree with DP…it depends on what you are using it for).

I got a test JME version working using a soft body pressure model and Verlet integration, but ran into problems with JME’s model imports and the duplication of vertices.

From what I recall, this was a real killer, and I spent some time playing with triangle strips etc but all jme’s import routines seemed to duplicate vertices at some point.

I’ll have to dig back into it.

"sonicviz" wrote:
I've done a bit of work here.
(and I disagree with DP...it depends on what you are using it for).

I got a test JME version working using a soft body pressure model and Verlet integration, but ran into problems with JME's model imports and the duplication of vertices.

From what I recall, this was a real killer, and I spent some time playing with triangle strips etc but all jme's import routines seemed to duplicate veretices at some point.

I'll have to dig back into it.

if you are willing I'd be interested in seeing what you have, I have ideas on this too, but just ideas, until I find time do actual work, modelling and animation tend to eat the spear time I have.

I've done a bit of work here.
(and I disagree with DP...it depends on what you are using it for).

You disagree about what? im kinda confuzzled...

If your disagring with that you wont notice it on everything, thats true. E.g. Matress, you will definetly notice it. Hence why im working on my own soft body engine.

sonicviz, duplicate vertices can be gotten rid of by simply replacing their index with the one thats very close to it and then completly gotten rid of. Hence getting rid of the duplications. What you basically need is a .jme cleaner of some sort...Im sure that wont be _too_ difficult to make :)

I would be more than happy with working on it with anyone else...

DP

don’t be confuzzled, just speaking generallerallery.

I might get back into the soft body stuff when and if I get my codebase working again, but I also have some other priorities atm.

Model import vertex cleaner sounds like a good idea.

sv