[SOLVED] Blender materials in jmonkeyengine

Hey guys. I’ve had this problem in the past (see my previous post on textures) but this time I don’t want textures. I’ve created a blender scene following a tutorial and I’d like to walk around it to test it out because I’m quite proud of it, seeing as how it’s my first ever scene on Blender.

What I don’t understand is why when I save it as .blend, convert it to .j3o and preview it on the scene viewer it doesn’t have any materials. On Blender it does! Now the strange thing is, if I download someone else’s scene from any website and do the same thing, it works.

Is there something I’m missing? Maybe I’m not saving the materials? Thank you for any help :slight_smile:

Here is the .blend in case you need it.

It has no light source so you’ll have to add that in case you want to render it.

Is someone else’s scene from any website made for cycles render?

Hmm no I just checked and it’s Blender Render… So wait, I can’t use Cycles Render? That sucks o_O

For simple materials its not big waste. Yes, you can’t use node-based materials.

You can’t use ANY of blenders features. Blender is for static rendering, for live rendering you HAVE TO use color, normal and specular maps. Simple vertex colors MIGHT work but you have to be sure that what you’re doing is actually that. For EVERYTHING else you have to convert it to the aforementioned maps/textures.

See this: https://jmonkeyengine.github.io/wiki/jme3/external/blender.html (why the FUCK did we have to give up on the old wiki and mess up the whole website?)

I’ve noticed that wiki thing, all old links are inexistant now and it’s quite annoying, becuase you guys made really good tutorials.

Great link. Thanks :slight_smile:

It is not quite true you can’t use any of blenders features. for example you can set up game engine to render things fairly accurately to the way they would appear in jME. You can set up a glsl shader to be pretty close to. But typically your importing your materials manually or with some trick.

Currently we do materials manually. Since its all one texture atlas, its not too bad.

I will eventually get round to using the glsl PBR for blender and tweak things a bit to be fairly close to jME pbr. I haven’t got that far yet, and i can’t make a promise on when it would be done. However i will make it available when i have done it.