[SOLVED] Blender to .j3o: Using Diffuse-, Normal- and LightMap simultaneously

Hello fellow monkeys,

I ran into a problem and hoped someone could shed some light on it. First, this is my setup:

Win 7 64Bit
Blender 2.67 & 2,69
jMonkey nightly

I created a simple asset in blender, a door. The mesh contains two different uv-maps, one for the diffuse texture and a corresponding normal map, one for baked ambient occlusion. I import this model into the sdk using the blender importer. I create a material file in the material editor, use Lighting.j3md as base, load all 3 textures into DiffuseMap, NormalMap and LightMap and check ‘Separate TexCoord’ on the left. From my understanding this should have been all that’s necessary to display the model correctly in-game.

However, here’s my problem:

I can’t get all three working at the same time. When I don’t use the LightMap, the NormalMap shows up just fine and all is bumpy and shiny. Once the LightMap is activated, the normalMap does not show up either in the scene composer or in the actual game.

Whe I leave the checkbox for separate texture coordinates unchecked, all three are displayed, but of course the LightMap is completely out of place. As I use heavy repeating and overlapping for the DiffuseMap, using the same uv map for all three is not an option.

I have tried various configuration combinations within the j3m-editor and I have even renamed the uv maps in blender in my desperate hope that having them ordered alphabetically - so that the ‘main’ uv map is on top - helps anything. Until now I haven’t had any success.

Does anyone have any experience in this matter? Has anyone had similar problems and maybe know of a way to overcome them? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you and good night.

Did you generate tangents for the model?

1 Like

Nope. I never before did that, actually. I’ll look into it and post the results, thanks.

Normal maps will have randomly bad results without tangents… because it will often just use “whatever happens to be in memory” for tangents.

Nice, it worked. I guess I’ll read up on tangents a bit.

Thank you!

On another note, how do I edit the original post or mark the thread as solved? I don’t see any buttons for that, neither in the post itself nor in the dashboard.

Does the ability to edit threads maybe come with a higher points count? In that case, could someone mark the thread as solved, please?

@RamesJandi said: On another note, how do I edit the original post or mark the thread as solved? I don't see any buttons for that, neither in the post itself nor in the dashboard.

Does the ability to edit threads maybe come with a higher points count? In that case, could someone mark the thread as solved, please?

It’s just a bug in the forum. We don’t have anyone really working on the forum these days so these bugs live a long time. There is a way to edit it by putting /edit on the end of the URL or something.

1 Like

Thanks, got it.