[SOLVED] Development on Raspberry Pi 4

I have tried it again , & the same exception keeps poping up , i think while reading through your post , that you have made a mod or a trick that have made the PI forces jme to use lwjgl repositories for lwjgl & not jme repos for lwjgl , I will appreciate that if you can illustrate !

my gradle file:

plugins {
    id 'java'
}

group 'com.Scrappers'
version '1.0'

sourceCompatibility = 1.8

repositories {
    mavenCentral()
    jcenter()
}

dependencies {
    testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.12'
    implementation "com.pi4j:pi4j-core:1.2"

implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm64"
    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-glfw:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm64"
    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-jemalloc:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm64"
    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-opengl:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm64"
    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-openal:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm64"

implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-core:3.3.2-stable"

implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-desktop:3.3.2-stable"

}

Thank you

It finally works , what i was actually missing is that ARMv8 Processor of RPI4B is a 64-bit processor that runs a 32-bit system(ARMv7l) for performance purposes , so implementing these in Raspibian context is wrong :

So , the right way around is :

plugins {
    id 'java'
}

group 'com.Scrappers'
version '1.0'

sourceCompatibility = 1.8

repositories {
    jcenter()
}

dependencies {
    testCompile group: 'junit', name: 'junit', version: '4.12'
    implementation "com.pi4j:pi4j-core:1.2"
    implementation "com.pi4j:pi4j-gpio-extension:1.2"
    implementation "com.pi4j:pi4j-device:1.2"

implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm32"
//    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-glfw:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm32"
//    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-opengl:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm32"
//    implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl-openal:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm32"

implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-core:3.3.2-stable"
    implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-lwjgl3:3.3.2-stable"
    implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-desktop:3.3.2-stable"

}

only :

implementation "org.lwjgl:lwjgl:3.2.3:natives-linux-arm32"

is essential , the others are actually bounded to jme-lwjgl3 so the implementation of the natives linux armv32 actually solves the exception of UnsatisfiedLinkError caused by liblwjgl.so for armv32 not found , this Exception :

[LWJGL] Failed to load a library. Possible solutions:
	a) Add the directory that contains the shared library to -Djava.library.path or -Dorg.lwjgl.librarypath.
	b) Add the JAR that contains the shared library to the classpath.
[LWJGL] Enable debug mode with -Dorg.lwjgl.util.Debug=true for better diagnostics.
[LWJGL] Enable the SharedLibraryLoader debug mode with -Dorg.lwjgl.util.DebugLoader=true for better diagnostics.
Jan 02, 2021 3:59:27 PM com.jme3.app.LegacyApplication handleError
SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[main,5,main]
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Failed to locate library: liblwjgl.so
	at org.lwjgl.system.Library.loadSystem(Library.java:162)
	at org.lwjgl.system.Library.loadSystem(Library.java:62)
	at org.lwjgl.system.Library.<clinit>(Library.java:50)
	at org.lwjgl.system.MemoryUtil.<clinit>(MemoryUtil.java:97)
	at org.lwjgl.system.Pointer$Default.<clinit>(Pointer.java:67)
	at org.lwjgl.system.Callback.<clinit>(Callback.java:41)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglWindow.createContext(LwjglWindow.java:182)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglWindow.initInThread(LwjglWindow.java:494)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglWindow.run(LwjglWindow.java:625)
	at com.jme3.system.lwjgl.LwjglWindow.create(LwjglWindow.java:466)
	at com.jme3.app.LegacyApplication.start(LegacyApplication.java:463)
	at com.jme3.app.LegacyApplication.start(LegacyApplication.java:424)
	at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.start(SimpleApplication.java:127)
	at JmETest.main(JmETest.java:11)

& also :

implementation "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-lwjgl3:3.3.2-stable"

must be included in your implementation as well for lwjgl-gl & al & window canvas

EDIT: i will upload a bare-bone jme game(Basic simple) for armv8 32 bit systems or the RPI4b soon…

2 Likes

Glad that you got it working. In my gradle I added all possible binaries so that it was as cross platform as possible, so I had both 64 and 32 bits.

1 Like

Have you got the physics working dude ? because here’s a new problem :sweat_smile:
bullet , bullet-native & Minie all gives me the same Exception , cannot locate the .so object file ,

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: The required native library 'bulletjme' was not found in the classpath via 'native/linux/arm32/libbulletjme.so'. Error message: no bulletjme in java.library.path: [/usr/java/packages/lib, /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/jni, /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf, /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf, /usr/lib/jni, /lib, /usr/lib]
	at com.jme3.system.NativeLibraryLoader.loadNativeLibrary(NativeLibraryLoader.java:598)
	at com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem.initialize(JmeDesktopSystem.java:348)
	at com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem.newContext(JmeDesktopSystem.java:271)
	at com.jme3.system.JmeSystem.newContext(JmeSystem.java:159)
	at com.jme3.app.LegacyApplication.start(LegacyApplication.java:461)
	at com.jme3.app.LegacyApplication.start(LegacyApplication.java:424)
	at com.jme3.app.SimpleApplication.start(SimpleApplication.java:127)
	at JmETest.main(JmETest.java:11)

i am currently searching lwjgl whether they have ports for armv32 or not !

EDIT : seems bullet physics is not operable on RPIs Raspibian system unless it’s supported by JmonkeyEngine, but we still have an option to use Lineage OS & switch the usage to android system , but notice , it would be hard to implement an interface for keyboard & mouse , it wonot work with the same behavior on the regular desktop

1 Like

I am not using physics for my game yet, so haven’t tried it. But like you said, this is now a JME issue. They need to support ARM in their desktop library, not only android library. Until that change is made in JME, I’m afraid support is limited. The rest worked thanks to LWJGL supporting ARM and gradle being able to download those. If you are able to trick gradle into loading the ARM binaries used in Android, it might work. At this point, I would just request for ARM support to be added to JME natively. Specially Open GL ES, to see if we could get some performance gain.

1 Like

We look forward to the pull requests.

1 Like

And, from a quick look, I think @Pavl_G could probably get a working build by adding some gcc flags to the LinuxArm or LinuxArmHF builds of jme-bullet-native/build.gradle round about here:

(I’d try it myself, but I don’t have the compatible hardware to test it on.)

Also, make sure that JME has indeed built it’s normal LinuxARM binary, hate to have you mess about with Compiler settings and find that the normal build would have been fine If it had been BUILT.

1 Like

I read through this build Gradle , found that arm32 is already supported , but I donot know why Gradle cannot locate libbulletjme.so under the /arm32 dir , plus I have never worked with native libraries before , so I would search around if I could do something

Notice : that this same exception happened with liblwjgl.so under the same dir , so it’s consistent & our fix for that was using LwJGL native implementation for arm32 , either something is wrong with jme or it’s Raspibian that causes the hit , I need to search more

Luckily, you can do most of the detective work through the gradle interface. Native libraries will only build if you have the correct Native compiler support available. This means a C/C++ compiler setup.

Try forcing just that particular library with .gradlew bulletjmeLinuxArmSharedLibrary and see what error message you get. If it tells you Could not find C++ compiler 'arm-linux-gnueabi-g++-8' or similar, you just need to install the correct compiler from your package manager.

If it builds, but won’t load on the Pi4, Then we need to look at specific architecture/arm version compatibility. Let’s not worry about that if we don’t need to.

1 Like

My guess is that the JME desktop library will only link to windows, mac and linux for pentium processors. that is why we had to manually add the binaries for ARM. the same must be happening for the bullet library, it is linking to the windows, mac and linux for pentium processors. Even if the ARM binary exists, there is nothing downloading it as a dependency.

1 Like

Currently Minie supports ARM Linux on 64-bit systems (aarch64) only.

I haven’t yet tried to build a Minie native library for 32-bit ARM Linux, since I had no way to test it.

If someone promises to test Minie on 32-bit ARM linux, I will build the native library.

2 Likes

I will test if the build is available,just ask for what you need to do & I will try my best :+1:

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong , but I think others(jbullet,bullet-native) exhibit the same behavior as Minie does , since they are from the same origin , so the native build for Arm32 should be similar , but let’s focus first on Minie to make something work , when the first build for Arm32 is out there , please ping me here to start testing :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m very surprised that jbullet doesn’t work on RPI.

I’ll let you know there’s a native library for you to test.

1 Like

Which architecture should I target: “armel” (most basic) or “armhf” (hard float)?

1 Like

The ArmV8 or Armv7l is 32 bit architecture , tommorow morning I will send you pi4 processor specifications from my terminal , thanks for your patience :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

That ‘l’ (Lowercase “L”) means that it’s operating in Little-Endian mode, which may need to be passed to the compiler as an option…

1 Like

I did more research. Native code compiled for “armel” should run on “armhf” hardware as well (albeit slowly). And since JME has no way to distinguish the 2, it’s safer to compile for “armel”. So that’s what I’ll do.

2 Likes

I donot know what’s ‘armel’ but there is Profile Architecture missing , I donot know where I can find these on my PI4 but I will do some search if you will use this info.

Hi @sgold , i have made some search & found out that , there are architecture profiles for each arm processor architecture , so if we have Cortex-A72 model then its armv8-A or armv7l RaspiBian system 32-bit which is a 64bit hardware that supports 32-bit systems for performance purposes w/ encoding AArch64/A64 using 32-bit instructions :

Rpi4b datasheet on Rpi org said :

Broadcom BCM2711, quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8)
64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz

On my Rpi4b : armv7l or Cortex-A72 w/ 32bit behavior

uname -a gives : Linux raspberrypi 5.4.79-v7l+ #1373 SMP Mon Nov 23 13:27:40 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

Armv8-A profile Cortex Architecture for mobile & IoT devices such as RPI & android :

More info on arm-profiles arches :

And about armhf the hard floating , armv8-A basically uses armhf debian binaries port as stated here :

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dpkg --print-architecture
armhf
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 3 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 108.00
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xd08
CPU revision	: 3

processor	: 1
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4 idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm crc32 

processor	: 2

processor	: 3

Hardware	: BCM2711
Revision	: b03111
Serial		: 10000000a459511c
Model		: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1

and to be sure of that i have searched through raspibian binaries in /usr/lib/ :

arm-linux-gnueabihf gnu is the gnu public support of linux UIs & builds , eabi is for compilation on bare-metal arm cores , hf is the hard floating point support …

EDIT : this folder contains the jni folder which has the .so binaries for java .

So, now we are sure about what we are dealing w/ : basically : Cortex-A72(Hardware metal device) =armv7l(Software interface through Raspibian) = armv8-A(Hardware Product model name)=armhf(binaries for the system) which uses 32-bit instructions set & armel isnot an arm architecture as i understood from those topics , its only a software compilation of the compiler , i am not sure about armel.

what’s inside the arm-gnueabihf/jni folder :

Please , if anyone have any thing that could help about armel please explain !

EDIT2: the raspibian image of Debian Buster
imagerpi

Thank you

1 Like