I originally posted this issue on GIthub, but pspeed recommended also posting it here. As such, here the Github posts follow. I didn’t see any reason to edit them, as the information is nicely contained i them already.
My initial post:
I recently tried to work on some of my jME projects with Java 12, as I do for all of my Java projects, and I found that when jME starts (even with just a SimpleApplication with nothing being rendered beyond jME’s default statistic view), the application quickly crashes with a log like this one:
<date and time are redacted to protect my time zone> com.jme3.system.JmeDesktopSystem initialize INFO: Running on jMonkeyEngine 3.2-stable * Branch: HEAD * Git Hash: 8291d61 * Build Date: 2019-07-13 Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-lookup.c: 111: check_match: Assertion `version->filename == NULL || ! _dl_name_match_p (version->filename, map)' failed!
java -versionfor a Java implementation for which the error takes place:
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 12.0.2+10) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 12.0.2+10, mixed mode)
java -versionfor a Java implementation for which the error does not take place (jME works as expected):
openjdk version "1.8.0_222" OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_222-b05) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.222-b05, mixed mode)
OS: Arch Linux
OpenGl Implementation: Nvidia 430.34 on GTX 1070
Linux Kernel version: 5.2.3-arch1-1-ARCH
This issue is new as the project in question did work before (even a few weeks ago, if I recall correctly), but has since stopped working. There have been numerous possibly relevant updates to my system since then, as Arch Linux is a bleeding edge distribution that often gets hundreds of relevant updated packages in a single day. Most notably, both the Linux kernel and Nvidia driver have updated since I last remember the project in question working.
So, if I get this straight… project was working fine. JME version was not changed. System was updated and JME stopped working.
If so then this is not a JME regression. I recommend discussing trouble shooting questions on the forum where you will get more eyes than the 2 or 3 people that would read this here.
If so then this is not a JME regression.
I didn’t say that it was a JME regression, I said that it is a regression. I have no idea what the regression is in, but after some research on the Internet, it seems to be an LWJGL issue as I found it in the issue trackers of some other LWJGL projects. Unfortunately, I can’t debug further as I don’t understand LWJGL or JNI well enough to do so, or to write a good bug report to LWJGL. No other (non-LWJGL) programs have an issue on my system’s configuration, so it is probably a bug in LWJGL and/or the way that jME uses it.
I will also put this on the forum.