[SOLVED] Models: Which format for what purpose? No material with md3?

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=7034 might answer all your format questions at once, if you don't need skeletal animation in jME. The java classes might be a bit tricky to use in the project's current preliminary status, but I'll release a .jar and basic HOWTO in the next couple of days.

im writing a md5importer for jme since collada doenst work very well…

currently the mesh loading with textures and stuff is done. im moving on to skeletal animations now. and hopefully i can get it done this week.

me220 said:

as you won't be able to easily access generic blender textures for use in jme.

Hope that helps

Ah thanks that helps indeed. Well yes, I suppose it's not a best practice to use untextured characters in a game :)

hevee said:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=7034 might answer all your format questions at once, if you don't need skeletal animation in jME. The java classes might be a bit tricky to use in the project's current preliminary status, but I'll release a .jar and basic HOWTO in the next couple of days.

Hey thanks for that. I know what I'll try now :D

neakor said:

im writing a md5importer for jme since collada doenst work very well...

currently the mesh loading with textures and stuff is done. im moving on to skeletal animations now. and hopefully i can get it done this week.

Ok Neakor, that sounds nice :D How can we know when it's ready?

-- One more question!
Perhaps it's not clear enough in my head, but I want to make a "village" (you know a kind of medieval town

That seems like a reasonable approach to generating your world.

The main problem would be if you want to do some more complicated stuff with it… like add some shaders to some objects, or rivers, or the like, because that would have to be done, most likely, in code, and thus, either you try to anticipate all scenarios in your XML, or have to customize each object after placing it.

for the md5 format. the loading mesh and texture is already done and have been tested.

the skeletal animation part however is somewhat problematic right now. from my understanding the md5 uses a differet approach to animate the model than just moving the bones. and jme's bone animation system seems only move the bones.

so there r 2 things going on right now. im working on finishing the seperate md5 animation system. and renanse is helping to find a way to translate the md5 system into the current jme system. the prefered option would be using the current jme system if renanse successds. but the new system im writing would be a backup plan if its not possible to translate.

Ok thanks all for the help! Will work that way and try that md5 tool!

hobstad said:

Ok thanks all for the help! Will work that way and try that md5 tool!

the md5importer is done i dont know if uve seen the post or not. is somewhere here lol. anyways, ill post it on the wiki as soon as i get back to my computer