[SOLVED] Plugin development problems (surprised?)

Here is the issue: The documentation is not accurate! And it differs between the online copy and the local copy significantly.

When creating a Module:

• One source of documentation says to “Check the “Generate XML Layer” checkbox”. This is not an option when creating a Netbeans Module. Instead you get the option of “Generate OSGi Bundle”.

What do you do here?

Resolving dependency issues for Modules:

• It states you need to add SDK Core & SDK Core Libraries… However they are listed as SDK Core & SDK Libraries and these do NOT resolve dependency issues.
  • SDK Engine does… but I’m not comfortable guessing what the documentation REALLY meant…

What do you do here?

Aside from these issues, I can compile the Module Suite locally just fine (making assumptions) and use it in a JME project. This doesn’t help if things are not correct for pushing out to the repository.

Help!

mhh I guess 1 has changed when we switched to netbean 7.2
and 2 looks ok to me.
I guess the documentation need to be updated.
Thanks for reporting

1 Like
  • The wiki doesn’t have the layer.xml hint anymore.
  • What dependency issues? Ofc they don’t resolve issues for classes that are not inside them. Its like a jar file :stuck_out_tongue: Also you can search for classes within the modules to see what modules you need to import.

Why would it not work in the repo if it works locally? I mean what makes you think that?

1 Like

Thanks for the responses. I’m almost through this. I just have a few more issues that don’t match up with the documentation now: (These are in the second half of the docs dealing with making sure it is setup for adding to the repository)

Under API Versioning:

• Set the “implementation version” to “0” and select “append implementation versions automatically”
    –These options are greyed out =(

Ideas?

Under Build Properties: Not that this is a big deal, because I can cut & paste the license info into a text file from another source, but…

• Add a license, you can use …/license-jme.txt to insert the default jME BSD license or use a text file you store in the project folder
    –If you use …/license-jme.txt it does not resolve to anything and you can not continue.

I’m really only concerned with the first item above. Past this, I just need to submit something and see if I did everything else correctly.

@normen

I “think” I did everything correctly. I believe @nehon updated the docs and everything seems to match up now. I recreated the module suite a test module I put together just to simplify adding other plugins at a later point. Final question…

I’ll be able to see if all went well by? tomorrow? I assume that the build happens during the night at some point?

Thanks!

If I remember right, builds are done at, or around, midnight EDT, but I might be wrong and be PDT.

1 Like

Oh… one final, final question:

Where should one put together wiki pages for plugin usage?

@t0neg0d said: Thanks for the responses. I'm almost through this. I just have a few more issues that don't match up with the documentation now: (These are in the second half of the docs dealing with making sure it is setup for adding to the repository)

Under API Versioning:

• Set the “implementation version” to “0” and select “append implementation versions automatically”
    –These options are greyed out =(

Ideas?

Under Build Properties: Not that this is a big deal, because I can cut & paste the license info into a text file from another source, but…

• Add a license, you can use …/license-jme.txt to insert the default jME BSD license or use a text file you store in the project folder
    –If you use …/license-jme.txt it does not resolve to anything and you can not continue.

I’m really only concerned with the first item above. Past this, I just need to submit something and see if I did everything else correctly.

It should light up if you enter a value somewhere, I don’t remember exactly, like so that it can make a full three part version number. Not the major version and all that stuff, part of the 3.0.3.(0)

The …/license-jme.txt would work on the server so you can add it later to the build script, that check for the existence of the file is new in NetBeans, buggers ^^

@t0neg0d said: Oh... one final, final question:

Where should one put together wiki pages for plugin usage?

Well we could start adding wiki pages under extensions:pluginname:page I guess… But “normally” you are supposed to add manual entries to the SDK, via “JavaHelp” pages (can be added via a new file wizard). The automatic syncing of wiki and manual pages only works for the core SDK.

@t0neg0d said: I "think" I did everything correctly. I believe @nehon updated the docs and everything seems to match up now. Thanks!
Nope...i can' take credit for that i didn't do anything.

@normen
Does the nightly build of plugins only happen if the SDK is updated? Or did I do something wrong again?

@t0neg0d said: @normen Does the nightly build of plugins only happen if the SDK is updated? Or did I do something wrong again?
It only happens when the nightly doesn't fail but that was not the case last night, my fault, sry :D
@normen said: It only happens when the nightly doesn't fail but that was not the case last night, my fault, sry :D

I think I must have done something wrong, because the updates arrived and no plugin. How do I figure out what I missed, as I followed the instruction to the letter (each bullet point in both sections).

@t0neg0d said: I think I must have done something wrong, because the updates arrived and no plugin. How do I figure out what I missed, as I followed the instruction to the letter (each bullet point in both sections).

Uh, did you also tell me when and with what name you added the module? Idk if its in the list of modules of the suite thats being built yet. Else you can check the console output of the builds here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org:8080

@normen said: Uh, did you also tell me when and with what name you added the module? Idk if its in the list of modules of the suite thats being built yet. Else you can check the console output of the builds here: http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org:8080

Somehow I missed your response here.

The modules name is SkyDome… I see in the the recent changes under:

#1102 (Jan 19, 2013 12:05:57 AM)

But no idea whats happened to it, as I can’t find anything else on it.

Ideas?

The SkyDome plugin in the contrib repo looks like its just a module with the code of a library inside which doesn’t make much sense unless you want to use the code exclusively in a SDK context. Normally you would create a jar file and only wrap that in the module? (“New J2SE Library” wizard)

@normen said: The SkyDome plugin in the contrib repo looks like its just a module with the code of a library inside which doesn't make much sense unless you want to use the code exclusively in a SDK context. Normally you would create a jar file and only wrap that in the module? ("New J2SE Library" wizard)

Hmmm… I don’t think the documentation is correct then. There is no mention of this at all.

Plugin Dev Doc

@t0neg0d said: Hmmm... I don't think the documentation is correct then. There is no mention of this at all.

Plugin Dev Doc

That page mentions this part as “write your plugin” :wink:
Try this one:
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/sdk:development:extension_library

@normen said: That page mentions this part as "write your plugin" ;) Try this one: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/sdk:development:extension_library

\ |
/ |
\ |
/ |

^ Me kissing you (yeah, I suck at ASCII art). THANK YOU!

Just as side note.

This makes life soooo much easier as everything I have worked on is already in projects as libraries.

I would suggest a llink to that doc in big huge bold letters :wink:

That’s the one I followed to make ImagePainter into a plugin :slight_smile: