[SOLVED] VR Launch title and icon in SteamVR

I was under the impression that action based openVR and (in the future) openXR were the only things going forwards. That all the other vender specific bindings have effectively been replaced. I marked everything but OpenVR as deprecated a few releases ago and was planning on deleting them at some point. But it sounds like you disagree?

The abstraction in jme-vr makes a lot of sense for the vender specific bindings that existed at the time but didnt really sit well with action based openVr when i put that in, so Im not sure it would sit well with openXR either

I’d be interested in being part of a VR group

1 Like

For now every major hardware player in the VR space is on board with OpenXR, so basically all vendor specific APIs are irrelevant at this point unless you’re developing for legacy hardware. So personally I wouldn’t try duct taping OpenXR into a framework that doesn’t really fit it (actions API etc.) just so we can support older APIs that nobody uses anymore.

Recently I’ve noticed even the older games that are still getting updates are starting to switch to OpenXR, so I think this is the direction the industry will go in at large.

1 Like