Some issues with DisplaySystem

have a few issues where I cant create a window or I get weird results if I do. I have moved the display options from the default dialog to an ingame menu so I can change options ingame instead of only before the game

card: radeon 9800pro, latest ati drivers, jme from cvs

substituted eight for 8 so its not a smiley  :slight_smile:

first case in windowsXP: if I use display.setMinAlphaBits(eight); my alpha images look right but if I try to create a window in fullscreen mode with 16bpp color I get error below. if I remove setMinAlphaBits it runs but it looks terrible.

May 20, 2007 9:37:37 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem initDisplay
SEVERE: Cannot create window
com.jme.system.JmeException: Cannot create window: Could not find a valid pixel format
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:421)
   at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java:141)
   at com.XMDGames.main.MainBowlingGame.initSystem(MainBowlingGame.java:45)
   at com.XMDGames.main.MainBowlingGame.start(MainBowlingGame.java:85)
   at com.XMDGames.main.MainBowlingGame.main(MainBowlingGame.java:192)

issue2 in WindowsXP in TestRecreateWindow if I start app with 640x480 16bpp window creates fine but if I switch to fullscreen I get this:

issue3: in Linux, I get slower fps when recreating a window. for example if I switch from 640x480 windowed to 1280x1024 fullscreen itll run at 35 fps but if I close game and run again itll run at 45fps 1280x1024 fullscreen.

I tried closing the display and creating a new one (instead of recreate) but it just comes up a black window  :? not sure where to go from here , these are just some of the issuses and all in all Im getting very unpredictable results changing the resolution ingame, sometimes I do the same thing and get different results. Im thinking I may have to require a game restart for resolution changes and no 16bpp for windows users  :(

Lucky boy, in my case restarting the game in Linux causes a native crash, recreating a window causes:

INFO [sims.limbsim.project.LimbSimProjectFactory]: Recreating display:

SCHWERWIEGEND [jme]: Cannot recreate window

SCHWERWIEGEND [jme]: Main game loop broken by uncaught exception

java.lang.Error: Cannot recreate window: X Error - serial: 16945, error_code: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter), request_code: 20, minor_code: 0

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.reinitDisplay(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.recreateWindow(Unknown Source)

at com.jmex.game.StandardGame.reinit(Unknown Source)

at com.jmex.game.StandardGame$1.call(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.util.GameTask.invoke(Unknown Source)

at com.jme.util.GameTaskQueue.execute(Unknown Source)

at com.jmex.game.StandardGame.update(Unknown Source)

at com.jmex.game.StandardGame.run(Unknown Source)

[catch] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

INFO [jme]: Child removed.

…which is followed by a JVM crash the next time one tries to open the window. Restarting and recreating seems to be quite fragile (probably depending on the graphics chip?).

Restarting and recreating seems to be quite fragile

i agree, in my game I decided to take out the option to change the resolution ingame.

Out of interest, what startiing settings have you fixed ??