Some Questions about JMonkey Activity

Hello,

I'm very interresting to your engine since some weeks.

But I'm very surprised of the website's activity which doesn' t seem to reflect the potential of the JMonkeyEngine.

So i would like to know if the engine is always developed ?

Why no version was published since nearly one year ?

For when the next version is planned ?

So I have another questions, more technical. Is JMonkey supports bone's animation ? (I want to know, if I can reuse easily animations which I make for an humanoid, to another humanoid which has the same skeleton)

I hope that you would give me news reassuring on JMonkey !

Ohms said:

So i would like to know if the engine is always developed ?

Why no version was published since nearly one year ?

For when the next version is planned ?

So I have another questions, more technical. Is JMonkey supports bone's animation ? (I want to know, if I can reuse easily animations which I make for an humanoid, to another humanoid which has the same skeleton)

-Yes, check the CVS mailinglist on our java.net project page for example. Though this very forum is a good indicator too.
-Because most people use nightly builds or CVS.
-Soon.
-Yes, in fact I think there's several implementations for bones.

Thanks llama for yours quickly answers :slight_smile:

Indeed, i am a bit worried about releases.

The last release was in May 2006, 0.9 was in September 2005

Which theoretically means that 0.11 is overdue.

I understand that many use cvs, i did/do so myself often. Sadly it also breaks code every now and then to do so.

I think its always good to have a release that people can use. And 0.10 is a bit old.

Can anybody tell me what features are still missing for 0.11 or at what date (besides "soon" :wink: ) we should expect it to be out ?

I think in general we don't focus too much on frequent releases because in general CVS is stable…we get beaten by the monkey when we break stuff.

What I do myself is simply create my own build from CVS when I'm nearing completion of a project and I test with that build to verify there's no problems and make my release based on that.  That's generally the best way to go because if you encounter a problem you can always let us know and then update from CVS and do an additional build.  Further, you then have all the most recent features available to you.  You are correct that sometimes CVS causes issues, but it's pretty rare and if you do your own build then you can test with that build to verify it isn't problematic before you release.

darkfrog said:

...we get beaten by the monkey when we break stuff.

there's no need to use the plural darkfrog :P i suppose you make your stable builds right before you check in  ;)

but darkfrog is right about working with the CVS. imho it makes sense to settle to a jme build (release or not) only when you make a release of your own project, because usually you'll want to benefit from the most recent features and bugfixes.

still i agree that it would be "good (tm)" to display more activity on the main page.
sfera said:

still i agree that it would be "good (tm)" to display more activity on the main page.

definately

I use jme v0.10 in my project, and last weekend I tried (naively I admit) to switch to the CVS version.

Most of my code still worked, but some classes were badly broken. Which meant I'd have to create a new SVN branch with no garanty that any change I make wouldn't have to be undone a few days later

I do agree that bleeding edge code can be useful (and cool too), but I, poor user me, have no visibility (my fault and choice, I admit) on code changes in jME. So I reverted to v0.10, agreed to delay some new features (skydome, large terrain, and stuff) which rely on cvs code, and I will take the plunge when v0.11 comes out.

Don't they say "release early and release often" ? (says I, after nearly 3 years of development and no official release :wink: )

The biggest problem we have is there is no release plan. That is, when we do a release it is very arbitrary. A release isn't done because some goals were met, but instead done because theres enough new stuff in cvs. It certainly isn't that a release is more stable than what's in cvs ;). A release plan isn't likely any time soon, simply because our development of jME is driven by our requirements at work. That being said… we should probably bundle up cvs soon and call it a release to appease people.

I think we've got PLENTY of new features and fixes since the last release. :slight_smile:

i don't even remember the features of the last release :stuck_out_tongue:

There is the added psychological bonus that in preparing for a release, you tend to fit in lots of little bits that have been nagging in the background.

Also - wont the bug squashing comp challenge thingy also have neared completion.

maybe also LWJGL standard

Perhaps we should wait until LWJGL 1.0 is released and then we can base the next release on that?

then we should update the cvs to the release candidate of lwjgl in oder to squash eventual jme/lwjgl bugs before the release.