Something to think about

not that I plan on even trying to sell anything I make, but I would like to share, …if I could ever find the time to do more than tinker with jme every now and then… but could this be a problem in that respect, given that the massive zombie horde that is windows users is due to make the vista pulge.

Yes, it certainly could be a problem. :slight_smile:

re vista user restrioctions: I don't think that it actually is a problem. Reading that article makes me strongly believe that the author does not have the faintest idea on how to properly make game installers/downloads for restricted user accounts. A downloaded game should not require admin privileges! It was obviously a good decision to stop Alex St. John from taking any responsibility "for all of Microsoft

The Vista launch was a total flop, when XP and Win95 came out, everyone heard and knew about it, now people say, 'Whats Vista' when I bring it up.  Gamers have retorted in shock at how much Vista sucks, server admins arn't going to switch to it… the only reason anyone will have Vista is because they have too much money and don't know anything about computers or it came installed already on their OS.

Vista will eventually win though, but there has been no widescale switch to Vista like there was with Win95 and XP, so we have a few more years before we have to make the switch.

I use XP only for play I,ve never been able to have stable install of that for more than 5-6 months at where as win2k always seems solid and fights to the bitter end when it gets a "cold"…my experience anyways.

I've been seriously considering ubuntu…but I read so much stories of failed installs, driver issues and library dependency when installing software…honestly I'm one of many…I assume… who would gladly switch to linux if installing and thing up and running, was as trivial as windows is for casual users.

Give Fedora Core or Open-SuSE a shot.  SuSE is probably more like Windows and more stable than any other version of Linux, but Fedora has much more support which means more software that can easily be installed.

ok, thanks will check those out…it just seemed from all that was being said on other forum that ubuntu seemed to be best for casual windows/computer user wanting to try linux…good to know there are others

It has one of the easiest installers…when it works. :o

Personally I wasn't a big fan of Ubuntu.  It hides things from you and sometimes the only way you can change something is via the console.  With SuSE you can do practically everything from the GUI and I believe they have the best install system hands down.

@Darkfrog

good to know, thanks

EmperorLiam said:

The Vista launch was a total flop, when XP and Win95 came out, everyone heard and knew about it, now people say, 'Whats Vista' when I bring it up.  Gamers have retorted in shock at how much Vista sucks, server admins arn't going to switch to it... the only reason anyone will have Vista is because they have too much money and don't know anything about computers or it came installed already on their OS.

Vista will eventually win though, but there has been no widescale switch to Vista like there was with Win95 and XP, so we have a few more years before we have to make the switch.

directX10"  and vista exclusive agreements or whatever might force that sooner rather than later...........u know foot on neck type things like that

I second what Darkfrog said - Ubuntu is a bit quirky.  We just got done trying to configure a box here (we didn't do the initial install) and it didn't go very well.  Things do make sense, but they are not like other Linuxes.  I'd say FC6 or SuSE would be a better choice - but that's just personal preference.  FC6 has a bit more "momentum" when it comes to software support so that tends to be my choice at home.

I used Debian for a long time but switched to Ubuntu edgy because of the nicer graphics and a lot of newer packages.

You have to do a little bit by yourself if you want to have it your way, but this is all easy and help is always present in the community.

Edgy should run out of the box on most systems, Dapper is a little bit tricky and Fawn is not yet stable :wink:

My biggest complaint with Ubuntu was the stuff it hid from me.  I couldn't easily configure my wireless networking card on my laptop properly with it and the screens I did get for networking support were basic at best.  I run primarily Fedora because I can do practically anything I need to in X and I'm also comfortable enough with the console tools that come with it to get by there as well.  If I never wanted to bother with a console though (which I'll always prefer the console most of the time I think) I'd probably use SuSE, but they need more packages available.

I've considered playing around more with Gentoo, but updating takes so long every time you do anything…however, it's pretty darn fast when it's running. :slight_smile: