Sound not working on Android for version 3.3.0-alpha5

Hi @sgold,
I am testing the latest build on android and found a problem where my sound fx and music does not want to play.
I have tested it against version 3.2.4-stable which worked.

I think it is related to some code changes here:

I have zero Android development experience, so I’m not the best person to troubleshoot Android issues.

Assuming this is a build issue, the next step would be to test with current master (or 3.3.0-beta1, whenever that re-appears). There were major changes in the build process between 3.3.0-alpha2 & 3.3.0-alpha5 and also between 3.3.0-alpha5 & current master. If the former changes broke Android sound, perhaps the latter changes will resolve the issue.

(I mention 3.3.0-alpha2 because 3.2.4 was built from the old v3.2 branch, so it’s even further removed from 3.3.0-alpha5 than 3.3.0-alpha2 is. I’m slightly curious whether the issue exists in 3.3.0-alpha2, which pre-dates the commit you cited.)

Thanks @sgold I will give it a try and give you feedback of my findings.

1 Like

So I tried with version 3.3.0-alpha2 and the sound worked again.
It seems that you might be right. Something broke with the android sound between 3.3.0-alpha2 and 3.3.0-alpha5.

1 Like

Then you’re probably right about PR 1171 being involved. Let’s wait and see whether this is fixed in 3.3.0-beta1 or not.

When is the plan to release a full 3.3.0-beta1?

1 Like

Soon. I did it once but the build was screwed up. Since then I’ve barely had time to sleep and I eat while taking a shit (not literally… but not far off either).

I’m off starting Friday so will look into it then.

2 Likes

Thanks @pspeed. I am looking forward to testing the upcoming release.

1 Like

PS: These snowflakes in the background is making me dizzy…

Hehehe.

1 Like

Seems that PR is authored by @Darkchaos . He may know what is going wrong. Seems a bunch of native files has been deleted by that PR ?? :man_shrugging:

jme3-android-native/src/native/jme_openalsoft/com_jme3_audio_android_AndroidAL.h

jme3-android-native/src/native/jme_openalsoft/com_jme3_audio_android_AndroidALC.h

jme3-android-native/src/native/jme_openalsoft/com_jme3_audio_android_AndroidEFX.h
2 Likes

@ndebruyn is there any exception, log or stack trace from issue when playing the sound?

Tried it on my side using JME 3.3.0-beta1, the app just gets shutdown without throwing any exception when playing sound.

I replaced "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-android-native:3.3.0-beta1" with "org.jmonkeyengine:jme3-android-native:3.3.0-alpha2" and it worked.

Most probably an issue with the compiled "libopenalsoftjme.so".

1 Like

I have to look into that later but the PR moves these files I think.
What it does though is build a new .so, as the old ones were ancient and maybe not even stemming from travis.

Does using adb or an Emulator help? If we had a native crash, that would be “good”

@Ali_RS @Darkchaos, in my case my game is not crashing, but I think it might be because I am using .wav files for sound.
I will do a test with ogg files and see if there is a different out come.
Thanks for your response so far.

Ogg is a different library, wavs should only need openAL

FYI, I was using an ogg file in my test.

@ndebruyn any news?

btw, I have already opened a GitHub issue for this

I hope it gets resolved before 3.3 stable release.