SpiderMonkey for MMORPG?

Would using SpiderMonkey with a headless jme3 application for server work to make an MMO? My guess is that it wouldn’t due to physics taking too make processing and it’d be too much for the server to handle.

I’m trying to understand the question:

“Would the networking API allow me to make an MMO? I think not because of a bunch of not-networking-things.”

Or did I miss something?

The reasons MMO RPGs are hard is because of the first M = Massive. This will pervade everything about the design from the very foundation up. If you’ve never written a network game before then you probably don’t have any clue what will be involved in architecting a game on this sort of massive scale.

At any rate, SpiderMonkey would probably be fine for running the networking. As with any game, you’d still have to decide how you federated your servers, what data you sent/received, etc… SpiderMonkey doesn’t really get in the way of that.

I’m basically asking if running a headless server with too many players will be slow and take up too much CPU.

EDIT: Perhaps I wasn’t specific. What I meant was would a headless application on the server side be able to contains hundreds-thousands of players?

@Miclebrick said: I'm basically asking if running a headless server with too many players will be slow and take up too much CPU.

EDIT: Perhaps I wasn’t specific. What I meant was would a headless application on the server side be able to contains hundreds-thousands of players?

Probably not… but that has nothing to do with being a headless server. That has to do with a whole bunch of larger architectural issues to do with spreading the load across multiple machines. Your single box probably wouldn’t handle 100,000 simultaneous anything, really. You need a fairly large data center to handle that many players consistently… this is why you don’t see hobby-developed MMOs of this size.