@madjack you would just end up picking a fight with yourself :smiley:

2 Likes
@zarch said: @madjack you would just end up picking a fight with yourself :D

I’m used to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The great thing about this is, I’m always right. :wink:

@madjack said: I'm used to it. :P

The great thing about this is, I’m always right. :wink:

But now you’ll be right in stereo!

@nehon said: What Paul says about the fog. Honestly that's one of the main issue the hypothetical Shader Injection and now Shader Nodes are supposed to fix.

and about SSAO, I’m not sure the solution I want to implement will be faster than the current one. It will look a lot better though (hopefully), but one can prefer speed over prettiness. Also it’s been like 6 months since our last talk about it, and I did not touch this filter since then (except to fix an issue on mac). So my argument saying “I won’t make change on it because i want to re-implement it with another approach soon” is not valid anymore. I’ll do it eventually, but in the mean time…
Yours looks good. IMO it suffers of the same issue as mine,that I hate (the banding thing when the radius is high), but your convolution is better and somehow manage to attenuate it. Also if your SSAO is faster, as you claim, that’s even better.

I just need 48 hours a day now. :frowning:

The biggest problems I’ve hit so far is:

No matter what the solution is, it’s always a compromise.

To elevate the wide-area banding, you have to adjust the intensity downward.
To compensate for the lack of intensity, you have to enable the detail pass (getting more expensive with every adjustment at this point)

But, I have found some settings using a single pass with a single pass blur that look pretty good… just not ideal.

Heya @t0neg0d,

Are you still planning to launch this as a plugin? I cannot see it in the list of plugins.

I would really LOVE a more cost-efficient SSAO filter. Hope it is being launched, looks good!

Cheers!

2 Likes

This looks great, and I’m hoping it’s released too. My computer can hardly run the current SSAO filter, so this would be great as a replacement.

hello @t0neg0d

sorry to dig this one… but,

it your plugin in the contributor repository ?

cos i cant manage to make the ssaofilter work the way i want
no matter what settings i use, it keeps giving ugly and/or too blury result
and also brings the fps low

so i wanted to give a try to your plugin

thx