Standing Ground

Hi there guys.

These last few days I have been working on a game. I was really borred with myself and started planing something on paper. Before I knew it, I had an idea pressented to me.

I can tell you this, it helps a lot to plan a game before you just start coding.

The game I’m working on is a combination between Worms3D and battle tanks. You are in charge off a battalion and need to destroy the other player before he destroys you.

Currently the game only supports 2 players, which will use the same keyboard, but network playing is being worked on. There’s only 2 levels and they don’t really contain very nive models, but the core system are in

tackt.

Here is a screenshot:

And you can download this demo from my website at :

http://www.thegiantlab.co.za:8080/tglab/app?service=page/Downloads

Please feel free to reply?

Thank you.

I can’t view the screenshots, and the link times out :frowning:

Hi Per.

Thanks for that.

Try it now!

Lovely! I like the concept, love the HUD graphics, but found a few glitches:

• If I where you I would attach that lens flare to the skybox. This way it would look good both when driving around in your tank, and when the camera pans around at the start.

• I would make the turns change automatically, so that you wouldn’t have to press enter.

• When switching levels two music tracks started playing simultaneously.

• Textures on the tanks would be nice.

• And some debris flying around with the explosions would be cool :slight_smile: I’m thinking physical particles?

Thank you for all the exciting ideas.

I will try my best to implement them. I am struggling with the design of

models. I’m not that good of an artist.

is your game commercial or hobby I believe that there are lots of tank madels on www.3dcafe.com if its hobby

Can’t you use those even though it’s for a commercial project?

always been a little unclear on that, but as a guide when you download models some artist included a note with conditions, if there is none with the model that is downloaded then yes perhaps they might be free.

awsome! I can only really iterate what people have already said…

Btw, did any of the physics stuff need tweeking or what not for the game? Any changes that would probably assist you?

DP

Very nice.

Couple suggestions I have:

-Notification of health (or is it only direct hits that kill?)

-Tweak the controls a bit, a bit confusing to figure out how to play.

-Deformable Terrain could be very fun. You be treading untested waters here. :slight_smile:

Keep it up!

in one sceenshot u have 56,000 faces(i think) divide the maps up and u’ll find a big proformance gain like i did

Hi there.

in one sceenshot u have 56,000 faces(i think) divide the maps up and u'll find a big proformance gain like i did

Map is already devided up. I am also using a terrain block instead of terrain pages.
Notification of health (or is it only direct hits that kill?)

Mojo, thanks for the reply. This is already implemented I just need to activate it. A tank will have a health of 100 points and then each hit will
take off like 20points or so.
Tweak the controls a bit, a bit confusing to figure out how to play.

If you press F1 in the game you will get a screen with the basic controls.
Deformable Terrain could be very fun. You be treading untested waters here

This will be on my todo list. You have to remember that this game up and until now took me like 1 weeks to complete. So there will defenatly be some problems.
Btw, did any of the physics stuff need tweeking or what not for the game? Any changes that would probably assist you?

DarkProphet, I used the Physics Lib just as it is. No changes was needed. And it works great!!!

Most of the models of 3dcafe don't have textures and to map textures is a job on its own! I will try to design some simpler models and improve on the game before the next release.

Thanks all for you help!

I think one improvement to the controls would be if you tapped the space key (same as the shoot key) to get into firing mode.

Good game tGaint, something when i played, sometimes the tank moves correctly on the terrain other times it deosn’t ( It go throu the mountain and nothing appears ) also i go though trees, and stuff like this, also i think you need to work on the controls. Effect are great, game concept ( not clear, you may want to add some information text to tell the player what to do like in marble fun ), graphics quality is good two, game introduction is also good.

PS: most of the game tend to use (w-a-s-d),i think its more natural to move with them instead the arrwo keys.

Nice game, keep on going.

DarkProphet, I used the Physics Lib just as it is. No changes was needed. And it works great!!!

:D